How do you keep homemade quick breads like banana nut, cranberry orange and pumpkin from getting moldy too quickly?

I baked breads to give as gifts, (which I do every year) however this year, I noticed mold on the bread just days after they were baked

4angelmom

Asked by 4angelmom at 5:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Keep it in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Refrigerate, put it all in it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Either refrigerate it or pop it in the freezer until you're ready to deliver it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• They need an airtight wrapping
    and the fridge,yeah

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Freeze then take out the night before for gift giving. Bakeries don't bake everything the day that they serve it or even a day or two. Especially for Holidays, most of the items are baked at least a month before.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• The downside of no preservatives. lol. As above, wrapped in the fridge, frozen for longer term storage.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Thank you all...I will give that a try. Very disappointing to have to toss those breads. It's never happened before so I'm not sure what happened this time:(
    4angelmom

Comment by 4angelmom (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Refrigerate it if you are giving it within a couple days, freeze it after wrapping very well if longer than that.

Answer by Bmat at 5:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Mold? On quick bread? Don't know what that is, any break I make is gone within 2 days!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• You get to keep those things long enough to develop mold? **grin** In our house it's gone within 24 hours!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2013