Explaining childbirth to a 4yr old boy

So I am 37 weeks and next week I have to take my 4 yr old son with me to a check-up. We haven't really explained to him HOW babies come out and he thinks I'm going to "spit the baby out". Up until this point I haven't done much to make him think otherwise.
I don't want to overload him with information bc I know it will just lead to more questions and things I'm not comfortable explaining to a 4 yr old. I haven't allowed him to see me naked for quite some time and I know it will confuse him when I'm having my cervix checked. I plan to bring my iPad to hopefully keep him occupied but I'm just trying to think of how to answer his questions without giving him too much information

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to ask the nurse to watch him for a few minutes. He shouldn't be in there when the doctor has his hand up your vagina

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I suggest you give your child the age appropriate version of you pregnant.
    The Dr. office will not have the child get a close up on the "visit"..I am sure the nurses will take you child out of the room.
    Just dont damage the child for life having him see something so PERSONAL ...it could affect...
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No 4 year old should be in the room when you are having a female check up. Ask the nurse if he can sit with her for those 5 minutes.
    To answer your other question. I told mine that mommies have a spcial place that the baby comes out when it is ready to be born.
    He does not need to know more than that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Age appropriately but truthful!!! The baby is in mommys tummy and comes out of mommys vagina, that's about it, chances are he will be happy with that initially.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• You don't have to agree to a cervix check for starters. That baby is going to come no matter what and monitoring how your cervix is doing at that precise moment means nothing. I was told on a Friday afternoon that I wouldn't be having my baby for at least 2-3 weeks longer, and I wound up delivering the next night.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Thanks ladies! In the pregnancy group I'm in a lot of other women said they bring their kids all the time but I have just neve thought it was appropriate to have my son with me during a cervical exam. I unfortunately had to take the appointment so I wasn't given many options. So I think i'll have him watch a movie on the iPad behind the curtain if a nurse can't take him out of the room during the cervix check
    Parkers_Mommy8

Comment by Parkers_Mommy8 (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• my ob doctors wouldn't allow the child back in the exam room anyways. do you have a friend who can go with you to watch your kid? I wouldn't count on the nurses wanting to babysit him,I've worked as an office nurse,they are busy doing there job!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yes. Ilario behind curtain if nurse cant watch him
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2013