Has anyone seen this article about fetal cells living in the mother's brain?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scientists-discover-childrens-cells-living-in-mothers-brain

I thought it was extremely interesting.  Besides the medical implications, it speaks of the ongoing connection between mother and child.  I think it is relevant to the subject of adoption.  I'd be interested to hear what others think after reading the article.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Adoption

• Fascinating
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 12:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2014

• MAYBE these cells were ALWAYS there & NOT from our Children or Mothers specifically. Perhaps we all have them no matter what. Maybe cells can change chromosomes from Y to X at will. Maybe we were all created from organisms with both male & female organs like earthworms? HMMM???? Articles are swayed by the interpretation of who writes them. Someday we will know the truth but probably not in our lifetime. Very interesting.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Oh ya I had read the article earlier .Very interesting .

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I agree with you Iamgr8tful ,my first thoughts were also of a biological emotional bond. Simply because some women don't love their children doesn't make it the rule for all women that have children adopted.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• What does it all mean?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• The article however is fascinating.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Not all women who give birth think, love or even care if their child which they gave up for adoption are still alive. Not all women deserve to be mothers.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Sebbiemama, ITA with your comments on bonding and love. I am an adoptive mother of two, and my first thought after reading this was how my kids' birth moms still love them and think of them, and I see this as a sort of ongoing physical connection. Very interesting.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Interesting article. I heard that maternal and fetal cells wander and mingle, but I never thought about the implications on disease and health. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

However, I'm really really wary of trying to draw connections between this and bonding in adoptions. The mere presence of fetal or maternal cells in the brain (or heart or liver) does not mean the brain is loving these cells and the person it came from. The biology of love and bonding is an extremely complex thing that is influenced by experiences and hormones and neural connections (not just proximity) a whole lot of other things.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I thought the article was veyr interesting, Especially, concerning the medical implications.
    I don't have an opinion regarding this and adoption, however.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2013