I have a sad puppy :(

She broke a toenail in such a way that it was all bloody, and it's hanging, but not enough that we could pull it off or cut it without hurting her. Bleeding is stopped, and I called and made a vet appt for first thing in the morning. (Hubby & I don't think this is urgent enough to take her to the emergency vet!)
I set her in her bed with all her toys so she's comfy, and I carried her outside for her last potty break for the night. I can just tell she is hurting with every move. :(
Anything you suggest that I could do for her in the meantime? I know jack squat about dogs, but I'm the one who's going to be sitting up with her all night.

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 11:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Pets

• Did she get the cone of shame? lol :p Poor baby! She looks pretty good despite what she's been thru tho. Lots of extra lovins & treats are in store for her I bet. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I assume it is not still bleeding or you would have gone to the EV. So you might want to put a little neopsoren on it. or better if hubby has a stiptic pencil use that on the opening to close it. If the nail is like it will rip of if the puppy catches it on something you might want to wrap a bandage around it but most dogs will try to tear it off anyway and it is usually worse in the end unless you have an E collar.
    Poor baby.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Awww poor puppy. I would wrap it as well, until you can get to the vet. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Awwww sorry Anne! I suggest alcohol. For you!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Bless her heart.... She's absolutely adorable!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yeah I'm trying to keep her still so it doesn't catch in the carpet or anything, but she's OCD with licking and chewing, so anything I put on it will last about 3 minutes. I hope if they bandage her up tomorrow they put her in a cone or something so she stays away from the bandages.
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Owwwww! :o( I was googling about cutting a puppy's nails last week (thought I needed to do mine but the vet tech said no) and it said a stiptic (I know I'm spelling that wrong) pencil. I'd probably snip the hanging piece since it's already busted off. But yeah, considering my own issues with my puppy, saying & doing is 2 different things and I'd probably be doing the same as you, in reality!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• She's all fixed up! The Dr. had to cut the claw off pretty far back and she said there was a lot of bleeding and the nerve will be very tender for a day or two.

PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Nope, no cone of shame! And I took this pic right in the exam room. She looks happy. But afterwards she did lay down and got really shaky cause of the shock I guess :(
    Her little sock is off now and she's napping. Poor girl had a rough day.
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2013