Catholic Weddings.... Help

My parents are extremely catholic. I am baptized Catholic but no longer a practicing catholic. I am now engaged and want to get married somewhere not in a church. My parents refuse to attend my wedding unless i am a practicing catholic and get married in the church. Also my 6 younger siblings (under 18)cannot attend either. I don't know what to do. Obviously I want them at my wedding but its MY wedding and would like to have it how I want it... so confused and upset.
My Dad said that he cannot attend because it is a 'sin' and against the 'rules'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• This isn't a religious issue it's one of your parent's trying to control your life.
    Your dad is full of shit.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It's a sin for him to attend a wedding outside the Catholic church? No, it is not. It is also not against the rules for him to attend.

Imo, you need to do what's right for you and your fiance and forget what your parents want. If they want to be jerks about it, then so be it. It's unfortunate, but like you said, it's YOUR wedding. My dh's mom was kind of a butt like that before our wedding. Not for religious reasons, but because they were scheduled to go on a cruise around the same time as our wedding. Dh told her, "come to the wedding or don't come, I really don't give a shit." She ended up attending because the cruise wasn't until the following week anyway, she just wanted to be a jerk. Chances are, once you put your foot down, they might change their minds.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• OMG, just do what you want to do. I know it's important to you, but they will eventually over it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Catholics are not supposed to participate in none Catholic ceramonies. It is not that he could not attend but he would not participate and that hurts him.
    You want him to respect your beliefs but that means you have to respect his as well.
    There is one proviso on any of the Catholic "rules" if you , yourself believe something to be a sin, even if the Church has not declared it a sin, it is a sin in your heart and in the eyes of God.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• can a Catholic wedding still be performed by a Priest if the person no longer attends (or practices) the church?
    Will a Priest marry someone in their chosen location?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No. A person must attend classes to be married in the Church. On occasion a Priest will perform a ceremony outside of the Church itself but as a general rule no thy will not.

This is a delema for any person in any situation. Do you do what you wish or what you believe in and accept the consequences or do you not and accept the consequences of those actions.

BTW both parties must attend the classes even if one is not a Catholic and has no intention of becoming one, but one of the parties must be a practicing Catholic.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• thanks for explaining Dardenella.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• NP
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• My grandma refused to attend my wedding because we were married outdoors and by a justice of the peace.

Her loss.

You have to be true to yourself and your future husband. It is not fair for your parents to emotionally blackmail you. Get married when and how you and your husband see fit.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• How is it emotional blackmail? She does what her conscionce tells her and her parents do what theirs says is right.
    You do not have to have a Catholic wedding and should not because it is not what you believe. They do not have to attend because it goes against wwhat they believe.

Each is doing what they need to do. It may cause pain but to try to force your parents to go against their beliefs is every bit as bad as them trying to force you to o against theirs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2013