How can I get my teen son interested in reading?

He used to read books and magazines but since his 8th grade school year, he has lost interest. I buy him books but he wont read them. He says he doesnt have time and none of his friends read books. I told him he has to read textbooks for school and he will have to read in college. I try and find interesting articles and give them to him to read. He will read articles about musicians or football. His reading level has gone down since last year too.

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Right now he isn't interested that doesn't mean that he won't pick it up again in the future. He is at a point where he is trying to fit in with his peer group and that is very important to him so if they don't read, he won't read out of fear that they won't like him anymore. Keep books and magazines in the house, but don't harp on him to read them or he may never decide to start leisure reading again.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• By the teen years I don't think there is much you can do. Some people just don't like to read. You are right that he will have to read for school, I would leave it at that and try to keep magazines in his interests around the house.

Answer by missanc at 5:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• He has to be interested in something in order to want to read.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Some libraries have volunteer opportunities for teensto read to children or helping children improve their reading.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• You can not force him to like to read. Either a person likes to read or they don't. Maybe if HE picks out the material he will read it. Just keep reading material around.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• There is a new Micheal Jackson bio out. Teen years are hard if he likes music or sci fi good that route.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Find him a couple books about music or football. It'll help if he has something he's interested in reading.
    AidansMomMom

Answer by AidansMomMom at 11:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Its so hard to get teens interested if they were not brought up reading. I was not a good Reading Role Model for my first two daughters because I hated to read and was not brought up to read. I decided not to let this happen with my third daughter and brought her up reading and she LOVES books!

My nephew does not like to read but is interested in music, automotive and anything that they can get a WOW! out of. I got him a book that he read from front to back, its was the Book of World Records / Guinness World Records he loved it. So many interesting things to read out and teens just enjoy reading about strange and oddities. Anyway..wanted to put that out there for you.

Here are some books about football:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?category_id=929085

Good luck. =]
    LaraJo

Answer by LaraJo at 1:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2013