6 yr old gets suspended for making a "gun gesture"

6 year old kid gets suspension for making a gun gesture with his thumb and forefinger. Really folks? WTF? This is a bit much. Here is an article about and I love this reporter as she really does at it. Its pretty hilarious and it makes the school system look like a bunch of fools.. Here is a little tid bit..

. "I was stunned by news that the Montgomery County public school system had suspended a first grader for pointing his finger like a gun and (allegedly) saying, “Pow.” I was stunned that he was the only one we rounded up. First-graders have been getting away with horrible, heinous crimes for far too long. Just because you’re six is no excuse. What about all the kids who get away, every year, with spreading “cooties”? Clearly, this is a threat of biological warfare. They should be expelled — then quarantined.

What about all the kids who climb into boxes and announce that they are rocket ships? This violates lots of building codes, and those crafts are clearly not space worthy. What about the kids who simulate car crashes with their plastic cars? Cars are far deadlier weapons than finger-guns, and you need a license to drive them. Where are their licenses? Do you know the number of innocent cruise ships, liners, and rubber ducks sunk by careless six-year-old children daily? It makes the regime of Pol Pot pale by comparison.

Hide and seek? Sounds Nazi.  What about all the kids who build block towers? Surely that’s a violation both of union rules and safety codes. Where are their helmets? Why aren’t they being compensated? How dare they do it on weekends?

What about all the children, six and older, who create Monopolies control large swaths of Boardwalk, and charge onerous rates to hotel visitors?

Play doctor? That’s definitely malpractice. Ring around the rosy? That’s a reference to bubonic plague, which should not be taken so lightly......"

Read the rest here....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/01/03/6-year-old-boy-suspended-for-pointing-finger-like-a-gun-got-off-easy/

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That was a good article.
    and i agree that suspending a six year old for that is ridiculous.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• This is actually a concern for us as well because my son's school has a zero tolerance policy for guns or gun play. My son is in Kindergarten and has had to be talked to a few times by the schools guidance counselor about his use of pretend guns at school. We remind him everyday that his pretend guns have to stay at home. While I do think it is going too far, I think the school has good intentions because playing war or other pretend games with pretend guns can desensitize them to the realities of violence as they get older. Why not teach them appropriate behavior from the start instead of trying to change the behavior when it is no longer cute.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Ridiculous.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Kids have been making guns out of their fingers or sticks forever. I understand that the schools are trying to take a hard line and ensure safety, but this kind of thing goes over the top. I remember seeing one somewhere a few months/years back that the kid got suspended for bringing in a tiny gun, like you'd find on a little plastic army man. This kind of thing is ridiculous. There's no tolerance and then there's stupidity. There's a point where you have to start using your common sense and think to yourself "this is going to make me look like a moron." I could see talking to the kid, telling him that behavior is inappropriate at school, and not to do it anymore. I can see taking away a toy gun if brought to school. But suspending over a finger, or a tiny little piece of plastic that is so clearly NOT a real gun is ridiculous.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• "Children used to play Cowboys and Indians or Cops and Robbers. These days, they’d be arraigned for genocide and theft."

This sentence makes me sad. I am so tired of the stupidity in the country. We grew up playing these games and the majority of us did not turn into serial killers and criminals. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I find it depends on the teacher and the kid. Lots of kids do this. No kidding. Including my own and I preach anti violence. But it is an expression of empowerment. At his current school, private, a few teachers will redirect but mostly it is ignored as childhood play. Unless it gets out of hand. My six year old will pick up sticks as a sword and I understand when his teacher in the afternoon is frustrated because this little guy is whacking his friends. Not cool. But she is equally upset at pretend sword play which is where I draw my line. And since we pay a hefty tuition fee...we win as parents. It is not being unreasonable on my part it is simply asking to notice when play is okay and using comon sense of when it is not. In my clinical practice setting I have kids who play guns. At the same school one kid will be suspended and another will be talked to or behavior ignored.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Because of the zero tolerance policy I crack down iny own home. My child who learns by drawing was in tears when we discussed that next year, when we attempt a local public program, he can't draw weapons. To him drawing bows and arrors helps him process tools used by native Americans. Or cannons to understand the revolutionary war. It is not meant as violent disturbed drawings of a future mass murderer. It is the visual processing need for my small guy. He was so upset, sobbing, saying they can't tell him how to draw. To learn that yes they cam set limits in his learning process was anxiety provoking. So much so we are now reconsidering that perhaps staying in a private program will be a better match. But I know my child. One time detension and he is not likely to draw it again. I fully expect a phone call.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Playing cops & robbers, cowboys & indians, etc does not mean they are going to shot anyone growing up. If that's the case we need to take away everyone of the video games. The majority of them are extremely violent with lots of blood & gore. I'm willing to bet if the same child was caught playing one of these games at recess on their iphone or whatever they wouldn't suspend them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Absolutely stupid. Wondering when we will have to bubble wrap out kids before sending them off to school. Trying to remove all risk and unknowns from their childhoods. When on Earth will they just get to be kids?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Kinda crazy but the world we are living in is kinda crazy.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2013