Weening from breastfeeding to cow's milk... What is the best way?

My daughter is 13 months old. She doesn't like the taste of cow's milk and I am not getting much milk when I pump, so mixing doesn't seem to be an option. Should I just cold turkey quit? She is a stubborn little thing and I know if I do this, she won't drink anything for a couple days and she will be really fussy ;( She also is a lightweight and is 3rd percentile... one of the reason's I want to get her onto whole milk so that she will gain some weight.

MommyToAdilynne

Asked by MommyToAdilynne at 11:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No cold turkey...it's bad for both of you! Drop one feeding per week till gone, no faster.

Don't sweat the cow's milk. She doesn't really need it. Water is fine for hydration, and if she eats cheese or yogurt she's getting the necessary calcium.

Percentiles are meaningless for breastfed babies so don't even look at them. A good doc doesn't have those charts around. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Have you tried warming the milk? It helped my second son to adjust to whole milk.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Cow's milk isn't necessary. I also would not go cold turkey. If you are weaning, drop one feeding per week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Dido to what they said. I am going through the exact same thing with my 1yr.old son right now. Try Goats Milk or soy milk. My son doesn't like cows milk either. I have had more success with the goats milk so far. Also they make formula especially for 1 and up now, maybe she'll take to that. As long as she is eating different kinds of food along with cheese and yogurt and drinking water, she'll be ok. Make sure you are giving her her daily vitamin too. When you're trying these new milks you have to keep trying to give her the same milk for a couple of days to see if she keeps on refusing it. And lastly talk with your pediatrician and maybe a lactation consultant. They always have free advice. It's nice to hear that somebody else is going through the same thing, hang in there.
    Anonymous