Sick and breastfeeding

Itchy scratchy throat and ears. Achy body. 3 year old chattering about how I need to put this sock in the laundry and go outside and shake this rug. Newborn being good.

So. Tea? Liquids? Rest? ( lol at rest )

And I have felt this coming since the first. Does it sound like a regular cold or is it going to turn into something worse?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Health

• Watch your temp. if it's creeping up over 100.5,go get checked for strep

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Ughhhh. Scary. A baby with strep would suck.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yuck. Googled it and I do have all the symptoms of strep. Hope that's not it.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yeah, I woke up Christmas day with that... felt icky for about 4 days but it didnt get toooo bad. Lots of fluids, decaff teas, throat lozenges, run a vaporizer with vicks in it, put a heating pad on your ears if they get too bad... I did that and it broke up some of the fluid in them and they felt better. If SO can watch the girls, take a long hot steamy shower and inhale all the steam, it will break up a lot of the congestion in your throat and sinuses... GL...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Since you are breastfeeding it should help the baby not get what you have. Your are giving her antibodies in your milk that help her from getting sick. One of the many wonders of breastmilk.

I just had the itchy ears and eyes and a bit of a sore throat and didn't get really sick. It went away a few days later. Hope you just have something liek that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I took EmercenC... a lot of it when I got sick. Maybe that helped me from getting horribly sick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I took an airborne. Not completely sure I was supposed to do that.

I told SO he could drink some breastmilk if he didn't want to get sick.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Since you are nursing the newborn will likely not get it or get a mild case thanks to your immunity being passed through the milk. I would also try giving the older child expressed milk if you do not nurse them already. If it doesn't get any worse I would just do lots of fluids and rest and see how it goes from there. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I was always told babies can't get strep. But homemade chicken soup, if you're up to it, would help too. Liquids and as much rest as possible.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2013