Has anyone heard that autism society is taking away the term aspergers

i called autism society about a question i had about school wanting to do eval with an aspergers test
(daughter has autism)

the person with that type of info regarding school IEPs is not in until tuesday. i get talking with the woman on the phone and she said next spring or summer (i forget the month) aspergers will no longer be separate, it will now just be dx on the autism scale

anyone else heard of this?
thoughts?

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Yes. It is going to change qualification for all kinds of assistance.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yes, it's in the new dsm. I think there's been a lot of confusion among a lot of people about whether high functioning autism and aspergers are/are not the same thing so I am glad they are changing it. The new "term" is going to be ASD(autism spectrum disorder) which will cover the whole gamut.

Answer by missanc at 3:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Yeah,I heard that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• the new DSM (V) has made a lot of changes to what someone needs to exhibit in order to be diagnosed w/ an autism spectrum disorder. Aspergers is no longer its own syndrome, but just part of ASD. DH has told me that it really only affects those who havent been officially diagnosed and that those with a diagnosis probably wont be re-diagnosed. heres an article that spells it all out, along with the new diagnosis criteria.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/my-life-aspergers/201201/how-will-the-dsm-v-changes-in-autism-affect-people 

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• My now 12 yo was diagnosed with autism. He is a smart, straight A, mainstreamed student with no pull out - in fact, he hasn't had an IEP in years, has a small group of friends, etc. When people find out he has autism (I don't tell people anymore, but occasionally someone finds out), they always ask "oh, does he have aspergers?" because everyone thinks that someone with autism can't possibly be that high functioning. That's the reason the term has always bothered me, because when someone says they have "autism" they think Rain Man, but when you say "aspergers" they think very intelligent but quirky person.
    This is in reponse to the above post - people with autism can be higher functioning than some of those that are labeled "aspergers" Just because someone has a diagnosis of autism, it doesn't make them severe.

Answer by missanc at 3:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I know it has to do with the new DSM revision. There are a lot of ASD related changes.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• My son has aspergers, and although he is different, he is not the way that severe autistic children can be, lucky for us he is very high functioning, I am sad they would discount it, but if there is a child that is unreachable due to autisim, then I guess I could accept the money going to them instead of mine, :(
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• i never think in terms of aspergers as my child has had 3 evals from drs, and each dx was autism

school has to do an eval for services, and wants to do an aspergers test
    why would they even do a test for aspergers in feb, if that term will not be used soon
    and
    why would they do an aspergers test when my child has 3 reports, and each dx was autism moderate

my head hurts
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• new society challenge!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2013