How do I politely keep the neighborhood children off my son's playset?

I told the children to ask permission before playing on my son's playset but it's just not getting through. After years of saving I bought my son a playset with swings, a slide, and a fort on top. The neighborhood children have been climbing my fence and playing on it when we are not home and even when we are. I don't want one of these kids getting hurt and it also pisses me off that their parents don't seem to notice their children climbing my fence. Just yesterday my son had his friends over and when we walked into the backyard children were on it eating chips and drinking sodas and leaving their trash on the ground. That was the last straw. This is not a public park. The park is actually a block or two away. Should I go straight to the parents (assuming these kids live in my neighborhood) or just go all crazy on these kids and hope they never come back? I'm at the end of my rope ladies. And the sad thing is that these children are actually older than my son and should know better by now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• Have the cops show up and scare the life out of them. Have the police take them home. That should get your point across.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 3:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• First I would tell the children to call their parents and I would tell the parents that they are trespassing on your property and that they can't play unless they are invited. If they continue to violate your property I would call the police and scare the kids and remind them that they have to respect your property.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I would go out there everytime I see them and tell them to leave now. If they come back I would tell the kids to bring me to their house so I could tell their mom they are not allowed on the play fort. Remind the parents about the liability issue and that blame the kids not being allowed on that.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Go to the parents. It is up to them to make sure their kids stick to the rules. Why don't the parents know where their children are??

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Go to their parents.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• All good advice. I would play scary music and tell them there are ghosts on the playset. Or just tell their parents. Whatever lol. Love the cop idea.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• If you already have not told the children that they are NOT allowed in your yard without permission, that would be my first step. If they come again, I'd shoo them away & say I am going to call their Parents. I would NOT confront the Parents if I did not know them. IF they come again then call your local Police Station & have an Officer scare some sense into them. Then keep calling the Police thereafter. The Police will eventually bring them to see the Parents. That is what the Police are there for so you do NOT have to have an argument with neighbors that you are not friendly with. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• A fence because if they get hurt on your property then you are responsible
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• You need to post No Tresspassing signs up before calling the police. Once you have posted them then call the police if you have already told the kids to stay away. You can buy the signs at almost any store. They simply say No Trespassing. Violators will be prosicuted.

The signs also protect you in case the kids once again come over and then would fall and get hurt while you're not there. Make sure you take pictures of the signs so that if someone would remove them you can prove you had them up.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• i agree with lovemypaulie "If you already have not told the children that they are NOT allowed in your yard without permission, that would be my first step. If they come again, I'd shoo them away & say I am going to call their Parents. I would NOT confront the Parents if I did not know them. IF they come again then call your local Police Station & have an Officer scare some sense into them. Then keep calling the Police thereafter. The Police will eventually bring them to see the Parents. That is what the Police are there for so you do NOT have to have an argument with neighbors that you are not friendly with. GL!"
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2013