All you mommies of kids on the autism spectrum

Are you or your SO also on the spectrum?
Anyone else in the family ?

I am,and my nephew Joshua (on my husband's side) is as well
my son is moderately autistic

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I was never tested, and neither was my husband. My husband was in the LD class when he was little, because he had trouble with reading. They did him a huge disservice (this was the Midwest in the 80s) and slowed him down even more instead of catching him up. We don't know what caused the delay in the first place.
    Out of curiosity, I took some online tests and scored very likely for being on the spectrum. I see a LOT of my own behaviors in my son, and I didn't really notice the odd things I do until I started paying attention to the things he was doing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I work as a Mental Health Therapist. I can say this. Over the past decade I have worked hundreds of children on the spectrum. There has never been a child on the spectrum that I haven't been able identify one of the parents as possibly having it. Staff has had many discussions on this as well and we all agree.

Anonymous

• i would recat this to special needs
    but we do not have that section
    or the option to recat

; )
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• My hubby and I are nerdy but not on the spectrum. We have no idea where our daughters autism came from.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• My oldest has autism. Nobody else in my family does. My ex was never diagnosed but I definitely think he has autism (as do other professionals who have had contact with him due to my son)

Answer by missanc at 3:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• My son's father has never been officially diagnosed, but my son's therapist (who has been with us for 8 years) says that he has Asperger's. I strongly suspect his one half brother is as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• DS has Asperger's- it is suspected that my DH brother also has it, diagnosis.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Not that we have been dx'ed with, no. And I don't know of anyone else in either of our families that has it either, but there are alot of mental health issues in both families.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• daughter has autism (moderate)
    that was first thing i asked therapist- do i have autism, he said no

my daughter has two half siblings, her brother has ADD, he is not longer on meds, once he went through puberty, he not seem to need meds anymore (or so i hear, we are not in that family anymore)

i think her father is in spectrum, did not connect it until after daughter's issues started and i learned what some spectrum issues were
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2013