Anyone have a hard time making their snaps last?

I get 526.00 in snap benefits mine don't seem to last. Any ideas on how to feed 3 people on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• If you are on facebook there are a TON of coupon groups that you should take advantage of. If you have a Sams club/Costco or the equivalent then see if they take the snaps (never heard of this btw) and then buy food in bulk. I have found per pound that Sams was cheaper than Costco, but it depends on your area and buy extra when they are on sale. Pasta is cheap, but it is also very easy to make. 1 1/2 cups of flour, two eggs and a little water as needed makes enough pasta for 3 adults a 6 yr old with left overs to spare. you roll it out and cut with a knife.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Cook from scratch and avoid processed foods.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• If you can't feed 3 people on $526 a month, you need to look at what you are buying. There are generic products that are just as good as or better than name brand products. Coupons do help! Even 25 or 30 cents off adds up. Start cooking more and leave off with the convenience items. I have 3 in my little family and I don't spend that much a month.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Not everyone here was rude, and there was some good advice, even with a little rudeness... Just filter through it and take the advice. These women are telling you what you need to do step by step to save grocery money... you can get offended, or you can do it....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I spend $300 a month and feed 4 people. What the hell are you buying?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• What in the world are you buying!? I could feed 3 people on that.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I feed 5 on less on $250 a month!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Holy crap. I feed 6 people on less than that. And I don't get food stamps.
    Anonymous

• Really? I feed a family of 7 on 600/month without trying at all. You need to look at what is on sale at the grocery store and build your meals around that. Plan some meatless meals. Clip coupons. $500 for 3 people is a gracious plenty and personally I feel the benefit should be lower!

Answer by missanc at 4:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I do cook, its not being spent on processed food.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2013