Antibiotics not making DS feel better?

DS (20 months) has an ear infection that is being treated with Suprax. this morning was day 3, but he doesnt seem to feel any better. he mostly just has stinkier, looser stools (which the bottle says is normal), a goopy cough that he didnt have before, and he's hungry ALL the time. he's still cranky, sleeping fine, and his low fever hasnt changed at all. is this normal?

i only ask b/c my DD was on a different antibiotic for a double ear infection months ago and felt better after 2 doses. granted, hers was a lot worse.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 5:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• It could be that its the wrong antibiotic, or this one works slower, or he has a virus along with the infection... call your doc to see how they wat to handle it..
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• In the meantime,start giving him a probiotic

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• It may be bacterial or what Craft said.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• call the Dr. and ask them for assistance - maybe they can change the meds? It's the weekend too :(
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 5:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Okay I will be the odd ball here. Why get an antibiotic for an ear infection? Most of the time they are viral and not bacterial so, really, it just has to run it's course. So my thought is that he just has a more persistent ear infection OR since you mentioned a cough- he has picked up another virus to make him miserable. I am so so sorry. It sucks to have sick kids.
    Anonymous

• It could be a viral infection and an antibiotic will not work. My son has had many ear infections where we didn't use antibiotics, only ear drops for pain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I've never heard of that antibiotic (and I'm way too familiar with way too many of them, sadly). I'd guess either it's just not a good match for what he's got, or it's viral. If you have a health food store near you, get some colloidal silver. A couple drops in the ear a couple times a day would help whether it's bacterial or viral.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• thanks everyone for answering. DS' fever broke last night and he's feeling much better today in every way. i guess i shouldnt be so impatient!
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2013