The Ohio football team rape

Since it's now everywhere thanks to Anonymous (2 for 2 in standing up for legitimate causes, they're going to destroy their reputation if they aren't careful), what do you think should be done - should the football players seen in the video talking about the rape in the next room and laughing instead of stopping it be just as liable as the actual rapists?

Summary of the story: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/09/rape_charges_divide_football_t.html

The actual video Anonymous released of the asshole laughing about it in the next room.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO they are accomplices in the crime, just like a get away driver, & should be charged accordingly. Sickening that anyone would be able to stand by & do nothing.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I'm SO sickened by this story. How those boys could laugh about that young woman being raped and humiliated, just boggles my mind. Yes,they should be treated as accomplices.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• That is disgusting. This is the kind of stuff that makes me grateful to homeschool my kids. I may not be able to completely keep them away from sick bastards like that, but I can sure as hell try! The parents of those boys should be absolutely ashamed - I know there's a point where your kids do their own thing and it's not because of how you parented them, but when they are like this, it IS because of how you parented them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• they're going to destroy their reputation if they aren't careful

yeah- people are going to start calling them white hats :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• poor girl. apparently no one wants to talk because it would ruin football. One thing i know is if they get a football loving judge and they get probation i will go bonkers im tired of women all over being raped and no one caring.
    mom2b834

Answer by mom2b834 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Well you know kids are exposed to pornography younger and younger and a lot more porn is showing more violence towards women these days so what do you expect from these boys. Our society as a whole as failed our children today. And because we want our right to look at porn we don't even touch the subject and we don't care how it is damaging our society in so many areas. I am NOT saying that porn is the only cause, but it is a contributor to these types of things.

Anonymous

• Something similar happened when I was in high school. Basketball players from my school raped a girl, but it was kept all hush hush because no one wants to ruin their reputations. Who gives a fuck about the girl's reputation, the "honor" of an athlete is far more important. I'm glad they arrested people in this case, and those who did nothing about it need to be punished as well. Make an example of them. Show people that's it's not okay to ignore something like that when you can clearly do something to help.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Anon, I expect those boys to have some common decency. Many young people function just fine and know right from wrong. Those who do not, like the fuckstain in the video, deserve nothing less than to experience that same kind of violence for themselves... in prison. Being exposed to porn and violence is no excuse. Society had failed in some aspects, but then how to you account for all of the upstanding young people who are out there today? Using your argument, all young men would be rapists.

The problem isn't exposure to violence or to porn. These things happened quite a bit even when I was in high school, and that was 25 years ago. No it's something else. We still want to blame the victim. We worship athletes so much that we allow them to get away with all kinds of crimes... including rape and murder. This culture in sports allows some young athletes to think they are above the law and can do whatever they want.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Well you know kids are exposed to pornography younger and younger and a lot more porn is showing more violence towards women these days so what do you expect from these boys

This has nothing to do with porn. It has everything to do with small town culture of football worship.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I am terrible disturbed by the comment:
    "porn is showing more violence towards women these days so what do you expect from these boys"

I expect "boys" to behave like responsible, compassionate, decent human beings. Despite the social media influences. I do not believe a well raised child will rape because of the availability of pornography.

To say that, removes personal responsibility from the attacker and places it on an unknown entity.

People are either decent or cruel. If this line of thinking were correct then persons raised in violent environments would ALL be violent.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2013