How do you make homemade bread?

I want to give it a shot! Do you need a bread maker? Or any other special equipment? I really want to make my own bread. :) Any tips, instructions, or recipes will be much appreciated! :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 9:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Easiest recipe (IMO) is the Artisan basic foundation bread, and then there are variations that are all based on that same base recipe.

Artisan Boule

The most important thing is the water temp to activate the yeast (that's true for any bread recipe).  Do not let the water get above luke warm, or it kills the yeast.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• You can make bread by hand or even in a stand mixer, but the bread machine is the easiest way. By hand you would find the recipe and mix all the ingredients together and kneed the dough for like 10 minutes, let it rest for like 30 minutes, then kneed for another 10 minutes , form into loaves, and let is rise again. With a bread machine you add all the ingredients wet, dry, yeast and then set to the bread setting and three hours later you have yummy bread.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• there is something therapeutic about making your own bread. here is an easy recipe.

Check thrift stores for bread machines. We got a really nice wilbilt for $15

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I make bread all the time with no bread machine. I just use loaf pans and my oven. :0) THIS is a lot like the recipe I use.  I do use bread flour.  I find it actually makes the bread rise better for me.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• OH! I let the top of my bread slightly brown and then cover it with foil. I do not like the hard crust it created not to. - that is personaly preference though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I saw a crock pot recipe on Pinterest the other day. Not that I'll ever try it.... LOL
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I'm a purist when it comes to making bread. I wouldn't use a bread machine and I typically only use a stand mixer for my most dense dough.

I have a recipe for Amish sweet bread that is to die for and it's very easy. Bread making takes a good bit of time, but most of that is waiting for it to rise.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I like artisan breads. Rustic. Bake on a cookie sheet. Black olive bread.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• The best bread you will EVER make -- with the kitchen aid!!
    I have used that for 15 years, I recommend it to EVERYBODY!
    You will NEVER make a bad loaf of bread. The good thing is, all you do is dump ingredients in the bowl, it needs, you leave it in the bowl to rise, take it out to the pans and bake! AWESOMENESS!!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Prissy - our kids almost always make an Amish Sweet bread as a mother's Day gift in Scouts, Sunday School, Daycare, etc.
    They make it in a big ziploc bag that they have to let rise and knead everyday.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2013