Do you have a good way to get your kids to pick up around the house.

I have a jar full of things that need to be done around the home and let the little ones pick a few each day. For example sweep the kitchen, clear the table etc... Now I have a older one that I would like to find the best way for her. She's 13 my goal is to not repeat myself over and over again.

P.johnson

Asked by P.johnson at 11:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• My kids are 15, 12, 11, 4 and 2. We have a huge white board chore chart in our laundry room. Chores stay consistent mostly but the older 3 know to check it before they ask to go somewhere, watch tv, etc. We've been doing it this way for 4 years now, it's habit

Answer by missanc at 12:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• i only have one child and he's only 5, we started having him clean up his own things at 1 so now he has a chore chart and earns allowance to buy toys - he has sunday chores which include putting away his laundry cleaning his bedroom and playroom, cleaning the bathroom mirrors and his daily chore of feeding the cats. ok we TRY To be consistent as often as possible - however, this said, he was also born a clean child, needing things in place and being clean so maybe it's not as easy for others
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• We have a four-year-old. We set up totes with pictures on them so she knows all of her My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop stuff goes in one tote, her Little People stuff goes in another tote, etc. It's taking time. I've had to let go of some of my perfectionistic expectations as well. I would think for an older one a chore chart might work, something she'd have to check before getting to go out or sit in front of a movie.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I know that my parents used a chore chart and we also got a little bit of money too for helping out with things that we didn't contribute to, i.e. racking leaves and vacuuming.
    Henofthewood

Answer by Henofthewood at 8:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• How I get the kids to clean up?

Yo! Clean that up.

4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• We use one word reminders. At dinner I say plate and he gets up without needing to be reminded to clear the dishes. I say shoes and he puts his shoes away. It is simply jogging his memory and typically he does. I also five a choice: pick up your game now or in ten minutes? At the end of ten minutes I use the one word cue. It works nine out of ten times. If I need him to stop I explain: when you sit on my back it hurts me. And he always makes the choice to do the right thing. Or when we leave shoes out it is hard to find them when we have to leave. And sure enough shoes are away. These nag free tecniques even work on my husband. Do you want to clean out my car before or after we fool around? Oh, after? Okay. And later I say...car sweetly. Neither one of themhave figured out my "trick" but I don't need to yell or get frustrated.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• i have 3 kids ages 13,8,3 i just ask them to pick up there stuff,then i tell them if i have to pick it up for u it's going in the trash !!! i tell you they move so fast.
    m.gaynor

Answer by m.gaynor at 10:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I make requests. I speak personally about my needs & what I want, and ask for it.

And like frogdawg, when I'm wanting to limit someone else's behavior (because it hurts or inconveniences me, or causes some kind of problem logistically) I speak personally rather than tending to issue orders. (i.e., I state what I want & explain why. "That hurts my neck," or "It's hard to find matching shoes if they're left out," etc.)

When the relationship is solid (and how we talk to each other can easily undermine/erode the parent-child relationship or strengthen it), then things are "in order" and respectful communication is "enough" to result in responsiveness & cooperation. Basically, willing cooperation signals that things are OK & people are feeling good in the household.

It's basically that connection or relationship-based parenting/discipline (in contrast with a behavioral focus) encourages natural cooperation & responsiveness.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• we have 7 kids and we have a dry erase board with chores, and a reward system at the end of each week. I never have an issue with them cleaning up.
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2013