Does anyone know anything about tomatos?

I have looked online, but i still have some questions? Its really windy outside today, should I bring my plant inside. I read that wind helps them to get stronger, but i don't want the wind to kill it. Also, I have it in a large pot on my balcony. Can I keep it that way, Or do I have to eventually put it in the ground. Thanks...oh and any other advice on growing tomatoes would be great....Oh and does it have to be direct sunlight, or just in the general sun?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think that the strength of the wind will determine if it will kill the plant and how hot your area is will determine if it should be in the direct sun or not. The pot will probably stunt the growth of the plant a bit, but the tomatoes will still be good!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Pots are fine for growing tomatoes actually. If you can put it in the ground, that is your best option, but I have had my fair share of tomatoes thrive in pots. As far as the wind, if it is to the point that you are uncomfortable in it, then shelter your plants as best you can. .Direct sunlight is good and will help your tomatoes ripen faster, however, you have to be sure to water them more often if you are in a hotter climate. Get some cages and some gardening tape. You can tie the vines up as they start to climb and it will take some of the pressure off the stalk and also keep your tomatoes from rotting as they ripen. Trim any dead leaves frequently and pick ripe ones frequently. If you pick before ripe, leave them in a window sill that gets light and they will ripen quickly. Any other questions, just pm me.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i'd be more worried about the temp than the wind unless the wind will blow it and the pot over. is it nice and hot and sunshining. Tomatoes love the hot sun.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• its been super hot and sunny this last couple weeks, so thats why i got it. since i got it, i been a little gloomy, not cold, still warm, but gloomy outside. I'm sure the sun will be back out soon enough.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009