How do you select new books to read?

My mom says my book selection process is 'adventurous'. Frequently I'll just wander the library and grab books based on covers & summaries. I also like to see if my favorite movies were made from books and read those. Of course, I also have my favorite authors, many of which I have discovered by the aforementioned ways. I also download a lot of free books onto my Nook and have been very pleasantly surprised by some of the treasures I've found.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 1:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Entertainment

• I go mainly by recommendations from friends, movies, and the summary. I'm a sucker for a good Tudor fiction. I have a Kindle and will just go wild dl'ing free books. Worst case, I hate them, delete them, and never have to see them again. I have found some really great books that way. Makes up for all the duds.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Most of the time I'll go to a site such as Good Reads or Amazon and read what people have to say about a particular book. If there is a lot of bad feedback on the book, I usually stay away from it.
    EponaMT

Answer by EponaMT at 4:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• book club recommendations
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Well lately I haven't had to really choose, my Grandma sent me a huge box of books so I just grab a book out of the box and read it. At the library I will look for favorite authors or if a title pops out at me. I also like to see if movies are made from books because the books are invariably better than the movie.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• People often suggest things from their book clubs. Try The Paris Wife.
    Anonymous

• Oh I loved The Paris Wife. It was fantastic. Also REMARKABLE CREATURES by Tracy Chevalier. It is such a fantastic book. I select by reading summaries, book reviews, searches, cover, title, reading first paragraph etc... And like you I have my favorite authors that I always buy. I do love Southern writers but I also love English writers like Barbara Pym, Elizabeth Goudge and Susan Howatch's Church of England Series. So fantastic.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I'm on Goodreads & tend to go off of ratings of books and friend recommendations. I like it because I can keep a list of books I want to read & I just keep moving on to the next. I'm reading The Painted Girls right now.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2013