please help...

I am trying to supplement formula with my breastmilk becuase my supply is slowing down in spite of supplements but my DD doesn't like the formula...has anyone ever dealt with this or know a way to make it easier for her? I would love to continue to BF but I think my production is slowing down...any suggestions would be helpful and I don't need to be told that formula is bad b/c if I had my way, i would just BF but just in case I dry up. thanks

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 12:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was going on vacation and needed to pump extra. I was never able to pump enough to have extra. I drank Mothers Milk Tea. It helped a lot! Oh and drinking lots of water.

Why do you think your supply is low?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• the trick is the more you breastfeed the more milk you produce. its that easy. You just have to encourage your breast to make more milk. Keep her on longer, or if your pumping pump longer ot more often. My milk supply was so sparatic, it just depended on how often i was nursing. Just remember, it supply and demand.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Let the baby nurse nurse nurse. Fenugreek helps with supply, and so does oatmeal. Is she having 6-8 wets a day? Growth spurt (will make you think they are starving to death). The only thing to up supply is nursing and pumping. Introducing formula will lower your supply. I would encourage you to call a lactation consultant as well. They tried to give my dd formula for jaundice and she spit it. She wouldn't even touch it until after 6 months and then it ticked her off.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have done the mothers milk tea and the lactation blend...I don't know why its getting low. I pump and have a reserve in the freezer but Im running out.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Try some fenugreek. It wors well. Maybe eat a lot of oatmeal also. And dark beer helps increase your production too ;)

I agree with the others... NURSE, NURSE, NURSE! Your breastmilk runs off of supply/demand. The more you supplement, the lower your milk supply gets. And growth spurts will make you think tehy're starving, lol. Just give it time and your milk should get back up.

However, if you do dry up, just keep trying different nipples and formulas. When your child gets hungry, he will eat. May not like it at 1st, but he will get used to it in time.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you want to nurse, stop the supplements. Every single bottle is damaging your supply. Just pu tbaby to breast and count dipes. 6-8 changes per day means baby is getting enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for more help. The Answers section isn't well designed for dealing with things like this that require Q&A.

• exclusive pumping can damage supply because a pump can't express what a baby can. formula is terrible, so you don't wanna go there. but pumping isn't the surest answer. do whatever you can to BREASTfeed instead. that's the surest, most natural way to keep up milk =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009