• In the Spotlight:

My cleaning lady's son died

my cleaning lady comes once in a month. sometimes once in 2 months.
so anyways i called her today morning to schedule a cleaning day and she told me she wouldn't be able to come for a while as her son passed away in an accident about a month ago. i've spoken to her son in the past when i used to call her at her home. he doesn't seem older than 10 (she has one son and i think 2 daughters).
i told her to take her time and asked her if there was something i could do to help. she told me no and would like to come for cleaning sometime in next week as she hasn't been working for a month and she needs a paycheck. i told her to take her time and consoled her.
she is a wonderful lady. i want to give her something to honor her late son. in our country when someone passes away we usually give them food and don't let them cook for 40 days. friends, family and neighbors all pitch in.
she's mexican, i don't know what her customs are in this area.
i am always giving her leftover food as well as fresh cooked meals whenever she comes over. i give her generous tips as well. also clothes (new and old both) or old household furniture/appliance which i want to donate.
i want to do something different. i was thinking maybe flowers and a card? is there anything else meaningful i can do to honor her son? any advice is helpful

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• i think you've done enough already in my opinion. maybe just a card would be nice
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Donate a bench in a nearby park with his name on it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Try to find out if there is a fund to cover expenses from his death. If there is, then make a donation to the fund.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Yes I would just pay her what you normally would have paid. That will help her more than flowers.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Well, you said you usually tip her well anyway, so why not just pay her normally and then add an extra tip? It would help her more then flowers and she probably needs money to cover expenses.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2013