What do you think, a reply to my craiglist add

I made a post about wanting a smaller dog, I got this shortly after

"i have a small male puppy he is about ten weeks old amd is utd on all shots. i run a rescue out of my home and this puppy was left in a ditch out side my house. if interested please let me know. he needs a good "family" home. his adpotion fee in $40 and that's his vet bill. the money goes towards getting another puppy or dog vet help. just eamilo me i will get back to you promptly. if you would like pictures i can send them either by phone or try to get them by email. "

It sounds good but the more I think about it the more I don't like it. This person runs a rescue but dosen't place adds on craiglist, but checks often enough for people looking for pets. It's all in lower case and there are typos kinda reminds me of one of those scam emails. Am I being overly paranoid?

candycane337

Asked by candycane337 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pets

• It might be a scam, but the great thing about this one is you can avoid being duped. If you're interested in the puppy, e-mail them back and tell them you'd like to come see the dog. You want to see the records from the vet, and look for letterhead on the records, and contact the vet to verify that the puppy was actually brought in and is fine. Check online, I'm sure there's some site somewhere where you can check and see if a vet has had any claims filed against him/her. If everything checks out, and you want the puppy, you give them $40 and it's done. If at any point during all that stuff, something seems odd, you just say you aren't interested.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• you can answer back, but not give payment until you have the dog in your arms
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Ya, don't pay until you have the dog. Usually people who are scamming would ask for more than $40. Also, ask for the paperwork to prove the puppy is UTD. Go visit the puppy at first too before you decide you want him or not.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 7:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2009