Hitting back a bully

well, it was not really a bully and I really didn't know how to post this...but this little girl at mcds hit my daughter yesterday but I didn't learn of this until today. She went up to the mother and told her that she was being bossy. but the little girl was 2. if I knew she hit her I would of told the mother something. but can;t really get mad at youngester if the parent is not really teaching that at home but it was not brought to my attention. This is not the first time this has happened. at her previous daycare this one little girl always hit. So my answer is this my daughter is not one to hit back so I just told her to come to me but what if this continues and she wants to try to make friends with these bullies and they keep hitting her . Should i encourage her to defend herself by hitting back or just to go and tell me or her teacher if it happens in school. Thankfully her new school there has not been any incidents.

I use "bully" as anyone that hits another child. but at this age i have no idea what else to call the child.
thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• At two the child is not a bully, they are a typical two year old that needs to be taught better. And this is not to say that the mother is not working on it, and may have appreciated being told ehr child was hitting so she could turn this into a learning learning experience.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Thanks cassie...^^^ Great answer.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• at 2? pretty normal

at 10? totally different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I agree at two this is bad behaviour that should be straightened out by the parents and caregivers with punishments and it is up to you as your daughter's parent to see that they are taking firm action. If this were to happen in school my policy is to tell my child to knock them on their ass. It usually takes a bully only one time to get the message that your child is not an easy mark. The school will punish your child but it will end and fast
    That advice is not one that every parent wants to give but so far it has worked every time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• At 2 kids are still learning to put their feelings into words so hitting when angry is a natural reaction until they grasp the use of words. Hitting back is not the answer. You are correct to teach your child to come to an adult for assistance but please understand that hitting can be perfectly normal for some kids all the way up to 3 or even 4 in some situation. The act of hitting can be directly related to the child's ability to effectively verbalize needs and feelings. Like everything else this ability develops at different rates for different kids.
    Anonymous

• Yeah i didn't want to say bully but didn't really know how to word it. They were in view but it was like the side of the wall. I just don't want my daughter to be the one to be picked on. like I said she didn;t say she got hit at first she just said the girl was bossy. At school it has been going really well. Thanks, I know at 2 its not a bully but it has to be stopped at that age rather then later. just don't want to be the one that is being bullied.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I always told my kids to never hit anyone unless it was in self defense...and at 2 I would say the same, they have to learn how to deal with bullies and standing up to them is a good start....

Answer by older at 7:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• btw my dd is almost 4 so she is a little more understanding then the little girl and that is why I just told her she was smaller then her and she doesn't know yet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2013