Rash looks like the plague...

So I took my son to the doc last week for pink eye and a fever with nasty booger face of course. The doctor told us there was a lot of viruses going around and sent him home w/eyedrops. Pinkeye is gone but his fever went from 99 to 103 then back down again like 3or4 times. So I took him back today because he has a rash covering his body that looks like raised red leopard spots! No fever, happy,eating and all. He was checked for strepp, that was neg. Tonsil was swollen, but doc couldn't really say what was wrong. This rash is terrible, the bumps are so huge it's like a bumpy crocodile or something. They aren't little bumps. And it was sudden, it was not there this morning! He doesn't mind, but I do! Any ideas ladies?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It's 5th's Disease. I'm almost positive. I am a preschool teacher and had 2 out breaks in our classroom this last week. It's a virus, starts with high fever for a couple of days, once fever breaks, rash appears, it does look terrible, but at that stage they are no longer contagious, also, look for very red cheeks- almost like someone slapped them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• there are many viruses that have a rash that follows a high fever. 5th's disease, roseola...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009