2 questions about dogs having hiccups.

If you have or have had a puppy, how often did they have the hiccups?

If you've heard the old wives tale about how when kids get the hiccups it means they're growing - while I know it's a tale, could it refer to dogs too?

My puppy has had the hiccups a lot lately! She's been sick (acute gastrone-something-or-other) but seems to be over it now, if it might be related to that???

I'm not worried - just curious!

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 11:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Pets

• I would say they are elated and have nothing to do with growing. Dogs with shorter snouts also tend to have more problems with hiccups.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Well I was told that when my child had bad hiccups it was a delay from the brain to the diaphram causing the hiccups and he would grow out of it, so perhaps it applies to puupies as well.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I don't have a puppy... I have an old one-eyed cockerspaniel. He's never had the hiccups though... and I don't remember our previous puppies having them..... strange.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2013