So my husband wants to know...

ha! i bet a lot of you have clicked into this one...

but seriously..

when you tip, is it still polite to tip 10% (i think thats what it is) or did it go up these days?

lovekitchenmama

Asked by lovekitchenmama at 11:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I think it's gone up to a standard fifteen percent, with twenty percent for excellent service. I usually do fifteen; it has to be pretty darn excellent to get twenty. But I try to remember that the wait staff doesn't make minimum wage; tips are counted in. So unless they're really bad, fifteen percent seems fair to me. Oh, and I like writing notes of commendation too, because I've heard those really go far with managers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• If we have good service we will tip 20% or even a little more, especally during holidays and to our favorites (ones that wait on usoften and always give great service)
    I believe the recommended rate is 15% But I may be wrong. I do not believe in tipping just because it is now expected though, and I think it is up to you.
    TIPS
    To Insure Proper Service
    That is what this "word" actually means. This was also started at a time when you did frequent the same places over and over and They did make it clear that a certain person was not to wait their table.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I was always led to believe the standard was 15% but, you should tip 20%.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I think it's 15 and 20 if they are really good.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• awww you tricked me
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I always tip 20% or more.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• My husband and I always seem to over tip, never know the waitress' situation. I have been a waitress/ bartender before so I know how it is to rely on tips. But hey some is better than none .
    hopefulnicole

Answer by hopefulnicole at 12:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• we always tip 20. But here's my bitch: I feel like everyone, everywhere, is putting out a tip jar. I get it at the coffee shop (where you're already paying 5 bucks for a latte plus tip) and a restaurant and for valet and the guy who carries your bags. But it seems like it's cropping up all over. Hell, I don't get tips to do my job.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Anywhere from 15 to 20 is customary.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• 15-20%. More for amazing service. $.01 for really poor service (along with a note explaining why).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2013