I'm 20 years old and I've never learned to sew. I'm completely lost when I try. I get the general idea, but whenever I try sewing it looks like a 3 year old was doing the work for me. Is there somewhere online that teaches the basics that anyone on here would recommend?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There are a lot of YouTube videos that can teach you the basics.

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• hand or machine and what are you wanting to sew? There are ifferent trchniques for different things.

Answer by Dardenella at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Hand sewing for now. I think that would be easier to learn, and then it would be easier to learn with a machine (if I get one) after I know how to sew by hand. and I wanna sew things for my son. Nothing big really. I want to make him a busy book, and be able to patch/sew his jeans when they rip, and fix my dh's clothes when they rip.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• No hand sewing is actually harder and faster. In many ways it is much more satisfying.
    You can get a machine for about $40. but I would try for one closer to $100. because they ae a little more reliable in general. Also look on Craigslist and see if some one is giving one away. It may end up costing you a good cleaning and some new needles but well there you go. Let me get you some sites.

Answer by Dardenella at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I agree that hand sewing is harder. I'd look for a machine with three things, first make sure it has a big enough motor. Most machines that are less than $150, and many around that price don't have a big enough motor for anything but lightweight fabrics. Make sure it has a top loading bobbin, and a side spool pin. These two features help to prevent bobbin jams, and make sewing easier for a beginning sewer.

A used machine can be a good way to go, just make sure that it works, the average service for a machine costs about $99, and make sure that it's not more than 10 years old, parts start becoming obsolete for some machines at about that age.

If you have a JoAnn's or Hobby lobby near you they offer good affordable classes, have fun!

Answer by ohwrite at 2:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• 20 years old is not the end of the world. Did you not have a home-ec class in school to teach you the basics?
    I would start by learning hand sewing. It's not worth the effort to drag out a machine for most common repairs, like sewing a button or tacking down a torn belt loop. You can also hand sew spaghetti straps to shorten them, re-string beading, or whip stitch a seam in a pinch by hand.
    I can sew/do alterations on pretty much anything. Like literally an entire wedding gown. I worked in the bridal biz for years before I sold sex toys. I wish I had more time. I did some holiday crafts for the first time in years and I realized how much I missed my machine :(

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• PartyGalAnne, I don't know about otherplaces, but sadly, the schools in our area haven't had home ec since the early 90's!!

Answer by ohwrite at 4:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I have to add one more thing to the 'must have' list. A one step button hole. The multi-step holers are a pita. Especially when you're first learning.

I'm a HUGE fan of Craftsy, and their begginer course is on sale for $15 right now.  Once you buy the class it never expires.  You can leave questions for the instructor and they get back to you quickly, and the videos are really high quality.

Answer by desert_diva at 6:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I'm pretty sure that there is online classes you can look at. Just google it. However, I think that actual classes that you can attend to in person would be better. I think you can learn from things better when the lesson is right in front of you.

Answer by Diamond2010 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2013