Sewing

I'm 20 years old and I've never learned to sew. I'm completely lost when I try. I get the general idea, but whenever I try sewing it looks like a 3 year old was doing the work for me. Is there somewhere online that teaches the basics that anyone on here would recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Look for local quilt shops too. They should have beginner sewing classes and may even teach hand quilting. Some also sell second hand machines that are in really good shape.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Get yourself on Pintrest! I have been teaching myself to sew this way and I'm getting pretty good!
    Oleary1024

Answer by Oleary1024 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• These are great sources.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I'm pretty sure that there is online classes you can look at. Just google it. However, I think that actual classes that you can attend to in person would be better. I think you can learn from things better when the lesson is right in front of you.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I have to add one more thing to the 'must have' list. A one step button hole. The multi-step holers are a pita. Especially when you're first learning.

I'm a HUGE fan of Craftsy, and their begginer course is on sale for $15 right now.  http://www.craftsy.com/class/Sewing-Studio-Fashion-Fitting-Home-Decor-More/19  Once you buy the class it never expires.  You can leave questions for the instructor and they get back to you quickly, and the videos are really high quality.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• PartyGalAnne, I don't know about otherplaces, but sadly, the schools in our area haven't had home ec since the early 90's!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• 20 years old is not the end of the world. Did you not have a home-ec class in school to teach you the basics?
    I would start by learning hand sewing. It's not worth the effort to drag out a machine for most common repairs, like sewing a button or tacking down a torn belt loop. You can also hand sew spaghetti straps to shorten them, re-string beading, or whip stitch a seam in a pinch by hand.
    I can sew/do alterations on pretty much anything. Like literally an entire wedding gown. I worked in the bridal biz for years before I sold sex toys. I wish I had more time. I did some holiday crafts for the first time in years and I realized how much I missed my machine :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I agree that hand sewing is harder. I'd look for a machine with three things, first make sure it has a big enough motor. Most machines that are less than $150, and many around that price don't have a big enough motor for anything but lightweight fabrics. Make sure it has a top loading bobbin, and a side spool pin. These two features help to prevent bobbin jams, and make sewing easier for a beginning sewer.

A used machine can be a good way to go, just make sure that it works, the average service for a machine costs about $99, and make sure that it's not more than 10 years old, parts start becoming obsolete for some machines at about that age.

If you have a JoAnn's or Hobby lobby near you they offer good affordable classes, have fun!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• No hand sewing is actually harder and faster. In many ways it is much more satisfying.
    You can get a machine for about $40. but I would try for one closer to $100. because they ae a little more reliable in general. Also look on Craigslist and see if some one is giving one away. It may end up costing you a good cleaning and some new needles but well there you go. Let me get you some sites.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013