Sewing

I'm 20 years old and I've never learned to sew. I'm completely lost when I try. I get the general idea, but whenever I try sewing it looks like a 3 year old was doing the work for me. Is there somewhere online that teaches the basics that anyone on here would recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• PartyGalAnne, I don't know about otherplaces, but sadly, the schools in our area haven't had home ec since the early 90's!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• No hand sewing is actually harder and faster. In many ways it is much more satisfying.
    You can get a machine for about $40. but I would try for one closer to $100. because they ae a little more reliable in general. Also look on Craigslist and see if some one is giving one away. It may end up costing you a good cleaning and some new needles but well there you go. Let me get you some sites.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I have to add one more thing to the 'must have' list. A one step button hole. The multi-step holers are a pita. Especially when you're first learning.

I'm a HUGE fan of Craftsy, and their begginer course is on sale for $15 right now.  http://www.craftsy.com/class/Sewing-Studio-Fashion-Fitting-Home-Decor-More/19  Once you buy the class it never expires.  You can leave questions for the instructor and they get back to you quickly, and the videos are really high quality.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• There are a lot of YouTube videos that can teach you the basics.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• hand or machine and what are you wanting to sew? There are ifferent trchniques for different things.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Hand sewing for now. I think that would be easier to learn, and then it would be easier to learn with a machine (if I get one) after I know how to sew by hand. and I wanna sew things for my son. Nothing big really. I want to make him a busy book, and be able to patch/sew his jeans when they rip, and fix my dh's clothes when they rip.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I agree that hand sewing is harder. I'd look for a machine with three things, first make sure it has a big enough motor. Most machines that are less than $150, and many around that price don't have a big enough motor for anything but lightweight fabrics. Make sure it has a top loading bobbin, and a side spool pin. These two features help to prevent bobbin jams, and make sewing easier for a beginning sewer.

A used machine can be a good way to go, just make sure that it works, the average service for a machine costs about $99, and make sure that it's not more than 10 years old, parts start becoming obsolete for some machines at about that age.

If you have a JoAnn's or Hobby lobby near you they offer good affordable classes, have fun!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• 20 years old is not the end of the world. Did you not have a home-ec class in school to teach you the basics?
    I would start by learning hand sewing. It's not worth the effort to drag out a machine for most common repairs, like sewing a button or tacking down a torn belt loop. You can also hand sew spaghetti straps to shorten them, re-string beading, or whip stitch a seam in a pinch by hand.
    I can sew/do alterations on pretty much anything. Like literally an entire wedding gown. I worked in the bridal biz for years before I sold sex toys. I wish I had more time. I did some holiday crafts for the first time in years and I realized how much I missed my machine :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I'm pretty sure that there is online classes you can look at. Just google it. However, I think that actual classes that you can attend to in person would be better. I think you can learn from things better when the lesson is right in front of you.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2013