Too many toys

My son is 13 months old and he is SO spoiled when it comes to toys. Right before Christmas I donated quite a bit of his toys, because I knew we wouldn't have room for them. Right now he has 2 big plastic tubs full of toys, one of the little organizing toy shelves full of toys, and toys allll over the place with nowhere to go. I've thought about going through them and getting rid of more, but I can't bring myself to do it. Did this happen with your first kid?

AidansMomMom

Asked by AidansMomMom at 12:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YYes. Our first born has a playroom the size of a one car garage that is full of toys. I went to clean it out and got one grocery bag of toys. She plays with everything and has all of them named. I don't know what to do
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Yes He was the first grandchild and the grand parents sent him him , I am not joking, 2 of the large packing boxes full of toys for Christmas and his birthday. This went on until he was 3 and I finally convinced them to take at least half of that money and put it in a fund for him. Two years later his side had 2 more grandchildren and most of the problms stopped. Your child can not really enjoy any of the toys because there are simply to many for him to learn any one of them. Get rid of the excess and make some other children happy. Maybe an orphanage?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• no, at that age and any age really I think a few really good quality educational (age appropriate of course) toys is the best, and a few cuddly type toys, and thats pretty much what we try to stick too......rather than a whole bunch of toys.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Yep, my firstborn still has a lot of toy! But I knew we were going to have a second baby so I kept all of his gender neutral toys.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• ALL 3 of mine had more toys than we knew what to do with. We have family to pass things down to, including clothes tho. Some things get stored for future grand-kids :) Sometimes, it's good to half the amount of toys & store them away. Then you can bring out a new one from storage, & it's like a whole new toy all over again. Then as he outgrows them, you can donate, have a garage sale, or take to a resale shop.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Yes. I always get rid of toys. They seem to multiply by themselves!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• And I never buy my kids toys. But one birthday party and there's 10 toys. My parents are constantly bringing crap. I tell my mother not to, but she does anyway. I throw or give away around 60% percent of what we get and we still have too much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2013