Reward or not?

I was sick with the flu all week. In bed, doing nothing, down for the count. My four-year-old daughter went to work with her dad, helped around the house, and took the disruption in her routine like a real trooper. I'm so proud of her. I was thinking maybe she deserves a reward of som kind, but not sure what. Dad says no, she did good, she was part of the family and pitched in, that's what families do.

So what do you all think?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL I agree with you both.
    I would not tell her it is a reward but I might take her to some place she would like to go. When my daughter was 4 she loved to go shopping. I know crazy right. We would just go and look and rarely buy but she looked ad touched all the clothes lol. I am not saying that is the right choice for you but it doesn't have to be what anyone else would consider a reward, just that you are feeling better and feel like getting out of the house wink.
    If you happen to get hungry or tirsty or just need a little nibble, it is just part of the trip.
    BTW DGS to this day loves to go anywhere that we can look at rocks, especially in their natural setting.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I agree with him that as part of the family, she should pitch in. But if you want her to keep pitching in so happily, she has to know that she did good, and that you're proud and appreciate it - no one wants to help if it goes unnoticed and unappreciated. I see nothing wrong with a little reward and a lot of praise. She's 4 - this is the best time to start praising and rewarding so that when she's 14, she'll still want to help out.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I think a reward is in order. It doesn't have to be a toy, maybe a trip to get ice cream or maybe visit a new playground, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Awww. What an awesome kid!! Maybe make an award for her.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I would tell her that you really appreciated all that she did while you were sick and to thank her for her it you will do something special with her. Paint her nails or watch a special movie with her and have popcorn. It is something that needs to be "rewarded" at this age and recognized so that she may help in the future.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I'd say some kind of reward, or at least lots of positive reinforcement and praise.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Reward. However a reward could be anything, praise, a hug, even a small toy. I think it's important to let them know you notice the great things they do. Awesome kid.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• How about taking her to a movie? You don't have to make it a reward but just make sure that you tell her how much you appreciate ALL that she's done. That kind of behaviour should be very much encouraged!

What a lucky mum you are!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• happy Aww what a little sweetheart!  Yes, it's what we expect from them, but it also has to be noticed & appreciation given!  I like the ideas others suggested.  It doesn't have to be some grand, expensive gesture.  It can be as simple as a girls' day, when mom is feeling up to it.  You can do each others' hair & nails, play games, whatever.  Just letting her know she did good will do.   :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I agree with your DH on this. Do you get rewaded for cleaning the house?

Answer by louise2 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2013