38 Weeks Prego, 2cm dilated but cervix long??

So I'm having a really rough pregnancy, my baby is measuring 8 lbs at 38 weeks and I'm exhausted (like everyone before birth!!). This is my second pregnancy, and I'm on bed rest for hypertension. When I was at the hospital they said I was two cenimeters dilated but my cervix was still long. Do I have any chance of delivering soon? I don't know what it means to be long but dilated, so what are your personal thoughts? I know babies come when they're ready...but this mom is ready now and could really use some advice!

CassaLuna

Asked by CassaLuna at 2:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Pregnancy

• My advice is to get as much rest as you can because you are going to need it
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Hugs, mama. I know it's tough to be patient at this point, especially when you have the PIH going on. Cervical measurements don't really mean much until you're actually in labor. I've seen women at 4 or more CM for weeks before delivering, then others closed and high holding a baby later that day. You never know.
    The evidence supporting bedrest is mixed, and leaning more and more toward it being ineffective for much. Take it easy, of course listen to your provider, but if possible, do something for yourself to make things more tolerable. A pedicure can be pure heaven in the final weeks!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Your dilation doesn't really make a difference in web you deliver.. I'm preg with baby number three and 40 weeks tomorrow and still only 1 cm. but I've always been 1cm all the way up to labor. And I know plenty of people who went over due dates despite being soft and like 3 cm...
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 5:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2013

• the dilation is not an indication of anyting, you can go from 0 to 10 in a couple of hours but you can also be 5cm for many many weeks....it doesnt predict anything. All you can do is try to relax as much as you can
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• No one knows and those cervical checks mean absolutely nothing. I walked around supposedly 4 cm for weeks with my first while my girlfriend was 0. We were due two days apart and she had hers a week before I did. With #2 I refused checks until I was in labor and I went from 1 when I got to the hospital to pushing in a matter of 3 hours. Also on the weight thing those can be off by plus or minus 20%. The said my son was over 8 lbs 2 weeks before I delivered and he came out 7 lbs 1 oz but was in the 90% for height. They base the weight on the length of the bones and the average weight of a child that size. Good luck and take it easy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2013