Looking out for us a little too much if you ask me!

My husb works at a hospital. They were just informed that all soft drinks, energy drinks, & pretty much anything caffeinated, (except regular coffee) will no longer be sold in the hospital. There goes the coffee shop business! And further more, what business is it of theirs how their workers get thru a day of drudgery?! A little extreme if you ask me. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Health

• They should look at the food the cafeteria serves.. Hospital food is awful in most places, deep fat fried, imitation meat to name a few. The last hospital I worked at was top 5 in the country for open heart surgery but the food was french fries, burgers, fried chicken and the only veggies was the salad bar with very few selections.. Go figure
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I couldn't work there.... LOL! Yes, that's going overboard if you ask me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• The hospital is the one losing out. People will bring their own and save money doing it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• If they really wanted to make a positive impact in the health of their staff they would figure out more reasonable work schedules so that everyone could get much needed sleep. Then they wouldn't need all of those caffeinated beverages.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Several hospitals in my area have a no cigarette smoking rule, even on your own time.  They can test you and if you test positive for nicotine you will have to take classes to help you stop smoking, but eventually if you continue to test positive you will be fired.  I don't smoke but I think this is going too far.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Interesting. I can see both sides of it. It's a health care facility, and I can see why offering unhealthy beverages isn't conducive to the environment. If they took away the regular coffee, I'd say it was a torture technique! LOL
    I am a nursing student, so I fill up on my share of regular coffee (I don't do soda or energy drinks). I'd have mixed feelings if our hospitals did that. I don't necessarily think it's the worst idea, though.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I don't know. On one hand I understand them having the right to decide what goods they will offer in their facility, but this reeks of nanny management and I usually find that kind of arrogant.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Oh I would much rather my hospital staff be drowsy as they attend to me...? What is there solution for late night and 12 hour shift workers to stay awake and coherent- especially during somewhat slow periods when the adrenalin wears off?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• So are they stopping them from bringing it in themselves? It will be interesting to see if and how this impacts the care patients get. I didn't even think about the extended shifts that health care workers have to work, but that is a great point. What reason did they give for this change or did they even bother to explain?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• They have the right to sell what they want, it is a "free" country. Personally, I'd just bring my own if they stopped selling it. lol

I get the point, though, that it's going over the top in terms of looking out for others.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2013