dont say ask a doctor because i do plan on it , just want someone elses input as well

I bought DD toddler formula and wanna know if i should keep her on it considering only the minerals are different ( more calcium and iron)... i think thats stuff she could use. BTW the fat content isnt lower either.

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 12:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if she likes it okay and the only difference is a little more iron and calcium that it would be fine to keep her on it. She will be going to milk soon enough anyway and it's probably just as good to keep her on the new stuff to keep from causing any tummy irritation from the change back to what she had before.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• IMO the toddler formula is just a gimmick for the formula company to get more money. kids should be off of formula at the age of one, unless medically necessary. They are supposed to be on whole milk until 2, then on 2% at age 3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would be careful of iron, but the calcium shouldn't be a problem. Maybe google the RDA of iron your baby needs at her age and weight?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• youre thinkin maybe iron over load? shes 8 1/2 months and thats all the store had so i had no choice for the night but then i started thinking of it and just wondered
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would keep her on it. They make toddler formula for a reason... babies are supposed to stay on breastmilk for 2 years to help make sure that they are getting enough nutrition while they are learning to eat solid foods. So that's why they make toddler formula also. By the time they reach the age of 2 they are eating everything that adults do and they no longer need the added nutrition that they get from the breastmilk, or in your case, formula.

:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes I was thinking of maybe too much iron. I am pretty sure it is going to go by her weight.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you were only giving it to her for one night because the store had nothing else I wouldn't worry about it, I just wouldn't use it as her regular diet.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well i was wondering if i should just switch her for good, shell be 9 months in 2 weeks.. but i will make sure i ask her doc first...
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 1:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• That sounds like a good idea.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Oh, I was thinking your daughter was right at 12mths from your post. My bad. Lol! If she's not 1 yet, then I would stick to regular formula. It's formulated to meet an infants needs, just as the toddler is formulated to meet a toddlers needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2009