Bed time help

My 5 year old is having issues sleeping. We lay down at 830 and he is up till 11 or 12. just laying there. He will get out of bed over and over again. And i dont know what to do anymore. plus he gets up at 5-6 no matter what. What can I do to get him to go right to bed?

ljmommy1211

Asked by ljmommy1211 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• if he is not having long naps and it continues I would make a doctor appointment.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Have you tried music, or white noise like a fan, or a recording of a book, or something like that?? Try one of those, and tell him he can't get out of bed unless it's an emergency or there will be a loss of a privilege or toy in the morning. I let my kids lay in bed and play their DSi's or read if they can't fall asleep and it works well.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Sounds like something is preventing him from relaxing. I would ask the Dr. about it, but Melatonin might be something to look into. On a side note, I have always been like that my entire life. I cannot relax and I cannot sleep through the night.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Does he take naps? If so, cut the naps out. I heard some moms give their kids melatonin pills.

Answer by louise2 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Is he is preschool or kindergarten? Maybe he isn't getting enough exercise during the day to expel all his energy. Then look at his diet. Does he eat sweets, caffeinated beverages, check for food dye additives (red, blue etc.) in what he eats & drinks too. Eliminate all.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• He is in preschool and he doesnt have naps on the weekend. He has an hour nap at school. but it happens weather he has a nap or not.
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2013