Pink eye again!

My Son was sent home from school mid December because his eye became red. Brought him immediately to the Pediatrician & she said it was most likely pink eye. Got the prescribed drops & finished the bottle. It had a refill so just to be on the safe side I refilled & guess what? He woke up this morning with his eye stuck together & now he has green eye boogers in one eye. So I started the drops again. If his eye is red in the morning I'll keep him home from school again.

So, have your kids had reoccurring pink eye?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 2:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A while back when I had one of my kids in, the doc said the whole green = infection thing isn't always true. For what we were in for, he said green = viral, white = infection. He's middle-aged, so he's been around the block, but also keeps up on new stuff (he's also the head doc at the clinic we go to).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• not like that - ever!
    Is he messing with his eyes alot? Does he have alergies? Have you had him tested for alergies? sometimes what we think is pink eye may just be alergic to something...I say this because we had constant sinus infections using constant antibiotics and come to find out, it was alergies dang it! Suggest you go to an ENT (ears nose and throat) or alergist to be sure.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 2:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• It's not unheard of... It's highly contagious... If the classroom isn't being properly cleaned the kids can pass it around for weeks!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Never had pinkeye before! Sounds awful!

Green does usually mean infection- which means antibiotics right?

If it doesn't clear up you'll probably be back at the ped!

Good luck! Don't touch your eyes!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• My son used to be on eye drops ALL THE TIME. They never bothered him- they just got green goop and blood shot. It took a new ped to discover that it was NOT pink eye it was purely drainage from even the most minor of ear infections. We got tubes in his ears after this kept up and we have no had 'pink eye' since.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I suspect you are right! It happened the first time a little bit after we put up the Christmas tree. Artificial but it probably had dust on it. Then yesterday morning he took some ornaments off the tree to help me take it down. But the eye boogers are green (sorry gross). So wouldn't that indicate an infection?

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• ^^^that too! He's in a class of 25 kids!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Hi Staci! He's on antibiotic drops twice a day. Weird thing is that he hugs, kisses & loves his little sister & she's been fine! Knock on wood!

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• idare, we've all been sick with a bad cold too so maybe it is from a viral infection! Thanks!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• oh i see, the eyedrops are antibiotics? sense has been made.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2013