My two month old has not pooped in three days. When should I start to worry?

He doesn't seem uncomfortable. He is not any more fussy than usual. When should I call his pediatrician? Is there any natural remedies for this? BTW he is exclusively breastfed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is normal. if your LO doesn't poop over a week or so then you need to call the pedi. they can go a few days without pooping at this age.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If there's no poop in over a week, then you should all you doctor and ask what to do. It is COMPLETELY normal in breastfed babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• should not go over two days without calling your doctor
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Karo syrup on his bottle it will help the what they told me to do for my little one

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My breastfed baby went every 4-5 days. They can digest breastmilk almost completely...Unless it comes out as hard pebbles then no worries mama!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Giving infants corn (Karo) syrup for constipation is NOT recommended.

It is true that corn syrup draws more fluid into the intestine, which makes stool less hard. But in excess, corn syrup can cause diarrhea in infants, resulting in water and electrolyte losses.

In the past, concern has been raised about whether corn syrup is a source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. These bacteria are typically harmless to older children and adults. But when ingested by an infant, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism.

Botulism stops the muscles from working, so someone with botulism needs medical care right away. As the toxin spreads, muscles become weak all over. It is a very serious disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• NO KARO. And no worries. The no-poop record for a breastfed baby is 20 days! Normal blowout at the end of it.

Breastmilk is easily digested and well-used by the body. Poop is what the body cannot use...and you get very little of that with breastmilk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My pedi told me that babies can go a whole week w/o pooping. Idk up to what age though. Your baby is fine. Just don't use suppositories because you don't want you baby to depend on that to go poop. That's what I was told.
    If you're still iffy about your 2 month old then just call your doctor's office and talk to a nurse. She'll be able to let you know what's ok and what's not ok.
    ek_white

Answer by ek_white at 2:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My pediatrician recommended the Karo to me 21 years ago and it worked time after time. Baby after baby. Without one problem whatsoever. However, there have been recent studies that show that there "can" be problems such as botulism. It's just not worth the gamble to me. My 10 month old grandson was born with down syndrome and his occupational therapist also does infant massage. She showed how to very gently massage the baby's tummy to encourage him to poop. I wouldn't even venture to explain on here how it's to be done. But I will tell you - it works 99% of the time. Ask your pediatrician for someone in your area who specializes in infant massage. There are countless benefits!
    9Rmine

Answer by 9Rmine at 2:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Absolutely no reason to worry! if baby is 100% breastfed, there is no reason to poop because there is so little "waste" left over with breastmilk! You are doing everything right!

and, dear lord, do NOT put karo syrup in that poor baby's perfectly functioning system!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009