Fat girl needs advice about shoes

I have been having pain in my feet that I am sure is caused by my weight. I am looking for good shoes that I can start walking in and wear everyday. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• maybe those shape ups?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Asics are my first suggestion. I'm losing weight, but spent the money on a pair of Asics a few years ago when I was having some plantar fasciitis (sp?). They helped immensely, but were also so comfy to walk in it was easier to get moving when I was wearing them. More recently I got a pair of New Balance - they come in wider widths and are also very comfy. About the same price as the Asics were and other than the lack of arch support (I have high arches) I can wear them for 12+ hours straight.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• maybe those shape ups?

NO!!!!!! Please NO!! They are terrible for your feet, back, knee's, hips, etc!!!

Go with a good brand name sneaker... Nike, Adidas, Sacony are all good. Make sure they have a good solid heel cup and a fairly stiff sole - you should not be able to fold them in half, they should be stiff in the mid-sole. Also make sure they have enough arch support - you usually have to add this as most shoes are made to fit everyone and I see very little arch support in shoes now days. Improper arch support can be one of the main causes of foot pain, along with not enough cushioning, and a sole that is too flexible.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I like the Earth brand shoes.  The have a negative heel which really does well with my bad back.

Kalso Earth

For tennis shoes, I wear Saucony.  

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Saucony... that's it... I knew I was spelling it wrong!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I have had a lot of problems with my feet. Brooks is the only sneaker brand I will wear. They are expensive, but worth it. If you're in a lot of pain, I would suggest Brooks Ariel 12. Super comfortable, motion control sneakers.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I think New Balance is another brand recommended by doctors if I remember correctly.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• m-avi is right - DH had to see a podiatrist a few years ago and she said New Balance was the brand she recommended most.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Go to a shoe place that specializes in shoes for athletes, they should have you walk in your sock feet to see what kind of shoes you should have. Another idea is to go to a podiatrist and ask, in case you need special inserts in the shoes. I wouldn't go to just any shoe store.

Answer by Bmat at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Never wear Shape-Ups! Very bad for you!

I do a lot of walking and I wear Saucony. I've found these to be the most comfortable and they come in a wide width.
    I also like K-Swiss.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2013