Serious question for moms with adult sons and grandchildren

I am a mom with only sons. They are all young now, but I worry that I will not be as close to them when they are adults as I am with my mom. My mom is my best friend and we talk all the time. In all the families I know the sons grow up and spend more time with their wife's family. I am afraid I won't have those special moments that a mom has with her daughter, ie, wedding planning, baby showers, birth of grandbabies.

Am I just being irrational? Is there anyone who has a good story of being close to your adult sons and being included in all of their special moments?

Please do not bash me, I am having a hard enough time with it already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have 4 grown sons they are 35-28-28 and 25 2 live in town have their own families and I see them almost daily for 1 reason or another my other 2 live out of state and we talk about twice a week. If your close now you'll be close later. Don't worry so much
    starfire59

Answer by starfire59 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• A daughter can be taken away from you too if she marries a control freak.
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• OP- I always knew I'd have 3 boys...I don't know why, I was actually afraid of having a daughter. My mom and I aren't as close as I'd like. She's actually much closer to my brother than to me. But, as I raised my boys I frequently heard an old saying. "A daughter is a daughter all of her life, a son is a son until he takes a wife." It scared me too.

I also heard that boys went through a phase where they didn't hug or kiss their moms, etc. Mine never did. At one point in high school someone gave one of my sons a bad time about kissing his mom and he said something like, "seriously, dude if you're so immature that you're afraid to kiss your own mom, you need to grow up."

People used to ask me if I didn't wish I'd had a daughter I used to tell them, "I have 3 sons, there are more girls at my house than yours." Even if they had daughters it was true!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I don't have sons, but I do have a stepson, and I hope to keep a close relationship with him. I just try to cherish the ones who mean the most to me, including my stepson, and I think that when you give love, then love comes back to you, sometimes in ways you never could have imagined.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• All I can tell you is I have 1 brother & 1 sister, and while we all live decently close and everything, my brother is mom's "favorite", she spends the most time with him, with his kids, talking to him, etc. He married into a crappy family so he does anything and everything in his power to keep close to his mommy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Anon, I'm glad if I could help at all.
    I've ALWAYS wanted a daughter but was blessed with two sons instead. Our sons girlfriends have become "daughters" to me and I couldn't be more proud in their choices for girlfriends.
    We're (girlfriends) and I are very close and honestly they spoil me with homemade cookies at work or a surprise visit with my favorite mocha.
    God blessed us with sons who in turn will bless us with wonderful daughter-in-laws!
    Our families get along great as well. Hugs! It'll turn out a ton better than you could ever imagine!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I am a mess about it. I have three boys and really want to try for a girl. Just one more baby and I would totally love another son if that is what we have. But I feel like if I don't try one last time I will regret it forever. My dh is worried about the cost of another baby, so I don't think we will have one, but I can't help worrying about it.

Thanks for your kind words. I knew I could count on you guys. Actually, PMS and ohwrite are two of the moms I was hoping would answer. ♥
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• Okay, my son is very little, but I can say that my husband and his brother have a very good relationship with their mom. They are not "best friends" with their mom, but then are both still momma's boys - love her tons and treat her well. Yes, both brothers have good relationships with their in-laws, but they are loyal to their blood first. Their sister however fights with their parents every now and then (the brothers are good at avoiding fights). And I don't talk to my mom at all, but I adore my MIL. So right there are two sets of adult kids who defy your experience. Just be the best mom you can be, and have faith in your kids.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• I have 3 adult sons, ages 21, 23 & 30. None are married yet, so that type of special occasion I haven't had, but we're still part of all of their lives. My oldest is in Baltimore right now, but he and his girlfriend plan to move here in the next year or two. My younger two were here with their girlfriends for the holidays. Sometimes they spend part of the holiday with the girlfriends family, sometimes not.

I'm fine with sharing, and I do my best to let the girlfriends know that I enjoy having the female companionship, and appreciate them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

• *sons
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2013