Birthday Party Invite

For DD's 7th birthday party, we are doing a make-over party at the mall and then dinner afterward at a nice sit-down restaurant in the mall. But I'm not really sure how to put this in the invitation since there are two different things going on...plus we want to make it clear to the parents that we are only willing to pay for the child's meal, NOT theirs (parents can come and eat, but we aren't paying for them).

I've come up with a couple ways that might work::

Sunday, February 3rd

3:00 pm - 5:00 pm

~~~~~~

Hair Salon

Mall

~~~~~~

Dinner for girls at Restaurant after

or

Sunday, February 3rd

Mall

~~~~~~

3-5pm - Hair Salon

5pm-?? - Restaurant

~~~~~~

We will cover dinner cost for girls

or something else...?  Suggestions...?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 1:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would include

while we anticipate parent(s) staying for the events
    we will only be covering the cost of food for the children
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• The second way would make it more clear to me that the dinner is just for the girls. I would probably call and ask if I should come with my daughter to the hair salon and the restaurant, but I would assume I'd be paying for my own food. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Not sure I would want my seven year old to get a makeover.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I would assume that my meal would not be paid for also, Ballad, but you know how there are always some people out there who just doesn't get it.

Luv...I like that...but not sure there would be room for it on invite (ordering personalized through Etsy)

Anon:: How nice. But since your seven year old isn't invited, there is no concern then, is there?
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I personally like evite.com because you can allow conversation with parents and answer questions for everyone all at once.

I don't want to offend you with this but what about the idea of using a space that is free and having the parents all bring a potluck. On evite you can create a list of what you would like them to bring and you can just set up the space for the party however you like, that way everyone can eat and not feel hurt over the bill. You could provide a nice cake or cupcakes for ease of a large group. Maybe a special favor idea from your daughter if you want to do something special.

Then everyone has food and it is nice for everyone to be included in the event. =)

Plus you could use the space for taking pictures of the girls without making other people at a restaurant uncomfortable.
    I am sure there are a lot of logistics this route but I think there is a lot more freedom too.
    I hope you find it constructive
    athomemommie

Answer by athomemommie at 1:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Nice suggestions, athomemommie, but doesn't really work out for us. Would if we were just doing a random party, but for DD's birthday party, we would rather do something geared toward her and her friends. Yeah, nice for parents to feel welcome, but yet in places like that which you are mentioning, not much for 6-7-8 year olds to do (we've been to enough of those "just let the kids run and play with nothing to do" parties to know DD does not enjoy them very much). Anyway, the party is already booked and the deposit has already been made, so it's a a done deal.

Plus, I made reservations with the manager and the place we are having dinner has a semi-private area off to the side where we will be eating. It will be late afternoon on a Sunday and this place is far from busy then...especially since the mall they are in closes at 6pm...and it's a dead mall at that.

Thanks, but just wondering at wording at this point....
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• you could print that on a sheet of paper and cut to size and put it inside the invite
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• i thinkt he second option is better. it is clearer that you will not be paying for parents.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Does the person making the invites (your etsy contact) have any insight on a wording that would be clear & graceful? That might be worth a query, to see if you get any good suggestions there.

Maybe put the times & places, and include a sentence or two that would describe the day & convey your intentions. Or put the party start time & the salon location, since that is the drop-off point, then a sentence about "dinner for the girls to follow at 5 p.m. at ...."

I would want to avoid specific wording that you are covering "dinner costs for girls" on the invitation but try instead to suggest that info in what you DO say.

Also, you can do some clarifying when people RSVP and you end up chatting then.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2013