Birthday Party Idea

This will be my daughter's first birthday that she wants to do something with her preschool friends, instead of just the usual family party. So I'm new at this. I want to keep costs down a bit, so I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to have her choose two of her friends and take the three girls to Ci Ci's Pizza. Only three boosters will fit in our car. Is two friends enough, or is that going to cause issues at school for her, since I can't possibly ask everybody in the class? There are arcade games at the place, plus a buffet style layout with pretty good salad and fairly edible pizza and dessert. Maybe I could do goody bags or something. Would that be appropriate, or would parents of four- and five-year-old girls be wary of sending their angels off with someone they only know in passing from school? Should I go back to the drawing board? I'm really not in my element here, and since I had lousy birthdays as a kid, I want my daughter's to be unforgettable.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At that age- I'd let her have 2-3 friends come over for pizza and playtime at the house for a couple hours. Goodie bags- maybe

*they say parties should be 1 kid per year of age, so a 4 yr old= 4 kids a 7 yr old= 7
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• If it is just going to be 2-3 girls then give the invites privately, don't let it be a public thing where it could hurt any other girls feelings. I would invite the parents to meet you at CiCi's or wherever you plan to have it because honestly I would not leave my child with you (nothing against you personally just I need to know a person well before I let them watch my kids) and also I would not want the parents to leave their kids with me to act as a babysitter.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I'm with PP, instead of suggesting that YOU drive the girls to CiCi's, just say the party is there and the parents can drive them themselves. Unless they call and say that they can't make it because they have no transportation or something...then you can volunteer to drive them.

I would have table clothes and hats and balloons and cake/cupcakes and sing Happy Birthday...I bet they even have some sort of birthday party package there...especially if they have arcade games.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yup, I've always been present at parties my daughter has been to, each child had a parent/s with them, so I would ask them to meet you there as the ladies above said, or a picnic in a park is always nice, you can prepare food and the kids can play more freely than in cici's , not sure how your weather is though
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• At that age I always stayed with my kids at parties and the parents of my kids friends stayed at our parties. As others mentioned I would just say the party is at cici's and that way the parents bring them and can stay if they want.

Answer by missanc at 5:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• ^^^ All great ideas. I would also see if her preschool would allow you to send in a treat for her to share with the whole class. That way no one feels completely left out if there is discussion among those invited. And if you do it the way others have suggested, you could invite all girls so no feelings are hurt. Have fun :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2013