Whats the best medicine to give to a 11 month old with a really chesty cough bringing up flem?

he is also on amoxocilin for a ear infection and is just getting over a cold with fever ect. I give up on our local doctors so im asking mums with experience. Thanks x

kayleighw89

Asked by kayleighw89 at 6:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Health

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • i usually just kept my kids hydrated and lots of rest. and we used those lollipop cold relief things too, but thats it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• You WANT him to bring up the flem. I usually do a humidifier, saline nose drops and a bit of Baby Vapo Rub. I also make sure they are drinking a lot of fluids.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• No medicine. Vicks vapor rub on the chest and a humidifier(steam).

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• If you are not happy w/ your child's Dr., find a new one. In the meantime, you could ask your pharmacist what they recommend. I also agree with the suggestions already given. If you don't have a vaporizer, steam from the shower helps too. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• No medicine. Unless he has a fever and it's getting high enough to make him uncomfortable.

Lots of steam. Again I say Lots and LOTS of steam. Lots of fluids.

4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• This is NOT a question for strangers on the Internet. Call your child's doc or pharmacist !!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• None, he's coughing up crap because he's had a cold and has an ear infection - and he's just too young for OTC stuff. Keep up with the antibiotic, it should help, and the cough should go away with the ear infection (I'd hope, anyway).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2013