is shrimp safe to eat while breastfeeding

AnneRekeda

Asked by AnneRekeda at 7:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe in small amounts. I'm breast feeding and don't alter my diet at all except medications of course! I believe people are becoming overly careful and cautious with these things and in turn it creates a lot of intolerances and allergies when we do introduce them in our children's life. One person eats something and the baby has a reaction that leads to dr.'s and people automatically associating that food as a possibly dangerous food to eat.. Sigh if us breast feeding moms stopped eating all the foods that could cause potential side affects while breast feeding we would have nothing left but water and air!! Hahaha so I say eat away and enjoy in moderation of course! I wouldn't run to the nearest sea food restaurant having An all you can eat buffet! Hehehe
    Melly2022

Answer by Melly2022 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• When my babies were born, my doctor told me to only avoid a food if it was something that a close family member to the baby (me, the father, a sibling to the baby, one of our own siblings or the baby's grandparent) was allergic to it. She said that I shouldn't assume my child would have any allergies to anything unless someone else in the family was already allergic or until he showed signs of being allergic himself.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. Use the normal caution you'd use with seafood and enjoy1
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I ate anything I wanted when I breastfed, and all 3 of our boys are healthy, and thankfully have been since birth. My Dr said there shouldn't be anything I can't eat as long as it's healthy for me, it's fine for my baby. I only stayed away from caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. I also drank lots of water.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• hope so because I eat it every so often, the last time was on friday when I made gumbo!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• If mom or dad have an allergy then the food should be avoided. If you eat something and notice a reaction then start a food log to discover reactions. My oldest had a huge issue with dairy (did an elimination diet to figure it out) so I cut it out. I don't really like it any way. My youngest had an issue with caffeine so I cut it out. I also have a shellfish allergy myself so obviously did not eat shellfish, but DH has no food allergies so didn't have to avoid anything else.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yes. Everything you could eat or drink before pregnancy went back on the table with the cutting of the cord. Watch baby for reactions.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I think as long as the food is cooked, it should be fine. As long as the food isn't uncooked, like sushi.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2013