If you attended a school talent show and someone sang an inappropriate song...what would you do?

I attended my daughters school talent show tonight. She is 10 and wanted to sing a song from High School Musical. The kids had "tryouts" last week and I assumed all the inappropriate was weeded out. However, a high school girl got up on stage and sang a song called "Bad Things". This song went along the lines of "Before the end of the night, I'm gonna do bad things with you in my bedroom while my parents aren't home." This was the main chorus.

Am I overreacting? I seriously hope my 10 year old wasn't paying attention and I know my 7 year old sitting beside me wasn't because I immediately started talking to her when I heard the lyrics.

I was not the only parent shocked and upset. I could tell by the whispers in the crowd. What would you do? I am thinking of shooting off an email, but who do I send it to? How did THAT song get through tryouts!??!! I thought a "school" talent show would be PG (or at least G) rated!

tandknix

Asked by tandknix at 1:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I would send an e-mail to the principal and cc the choir teacher or whoever was responsible for directing the show. If they don't respond take it to the school board. It is possible that they didn't pay attention to the lyrics...but they should.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You should go straight to the administration of your school and they will deal with the people who were in charge of the show. Thats just not appropriate and its up to you guys to make sure it never happens again.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yeah it's inappropriate. HSM is soooo popular right now and I don't really get all the hype. Definitely send the email. I would.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Perhaps contact the principal or the school board if the principal doesn't seem concerned. I don't think anything of that nature should be allowed in schools, especially not something that envelops such a range of ages of the students. If your ten year old was at the same audition as a high schooler I am guessing it was a town wide or something similar?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well you already know I feel lol...
    aapye

Answer by aapye at 1:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would let them know that you had negative feelings about it. We just did a play with a local school and it was helpful to know the parents cared. Truthfully, they may have heard the kids singing and not paid attention to the lyrics.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• we weren't even allowed to sing a song from moulan rouge because of the meaning behind it and it was a high school event I can't believe they would allow something like that to be sung. The girl should have had to sing something else!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Is this the lyrics?
    http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/everett-jace/bad-things-16566.html
    In which case, it's not as bad as described. I couldn't find any others that fit that description.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• We live in a town with a total population of about 662. The school is VERY small..hence the combined talent show. All the other kids sang/danced to appropriate neutral songs.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 1:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• toriandgrace - I don't think that's it. I will look for the lyrics and see if I can find them.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 1:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009