Is he allergic to bananas

Do you think my son is allergic to bananas? He normally poops once a day but the past couple days he's gone 3 times. He's been eating bananas once a day and the rest of the time breast milk. He shows no signs of an allergy other than the target sign on his butt...but I don't know if that's just irritated from him pooping so much. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If his diapers are being changed quickly after they become dirty he shouldn't be developing a rash. Sometimes fruit can cause bowel movements to become acidic which causes rash. My son at six months was introduced to bananas and he had a similar problem. I used berts bees diaper ointment which worked wonderfully for him and eventually it stopped happening. I think that while their digestive systems are still developing this can be a common occurance. I wouldn't think it is an allergy. As long as he is happy and has no other symptoms you should be fine.
    tcross

Answer by tcross at 1:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Doesn't sound like an allergy, IMO. Sometimes infants just develop a rash for no apparent reason. Treat it like you normally would and then watch what you're feeding him and see if any certain food is irritating him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It doesn't sound like he's allergic. Usually if there is a reaction it will be a rash around their mouth. Some fruits just make a baby poop more. My daughter get's a little diaper rash when she poops a lot in one day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Banannas are constipating food, to many and no poop....
    if you lo was allergic there would be a rash somewhere
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2009