friend going to Saudi Arabia

I just got a call from my girlfriend and her dh about their new jobs. They and their kids are gonna live in Saudi Arabia for three years, she always wanted to live out of the country and open to a lot of different places. Anyways I'm amazed and don't think I am that adventurous and a little nervous for them but they are excited. I know that they must wear special clothing when they are outside the compound, and that she will not be allowed to drive. I don't know as I said I'm amazed that they can just go on these adventures and commit to living somewhere so different that I dont think they know that much about. they are smart sweet people, will be teaching want to make more money anyway. are any of you doing this kind of thing right now, or considering it or just not in your personality to do, or are concerned about them going to middle east, any thoughts you wish to share.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think its awesome that they have the oppurtunity and willingness to go. DH and I hope to live in some country in Africa one day, yeah we have to narrow that down alot! But I think anyone who can live in a place that is deemed "less than" America..it says alot about that person.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• There is NO WAY I would go there - I have a cousin who worked there a few years back - he took his family with him - He made tons of money, and it is all tax free... I have a husband who went to Iraq - that money was all tax free also - but conditions were not ideal, you could say. I lived outside the US for three years - and in places far better than the middle east, but I do not ever want to leave the US again.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 1:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I've lived outside the US, not in places like Saudi Arabia, but I am very open to new places. There are only a few places I refuse to go, and that is mostly war-torn or very dangerous areas. I lived in both Guam and Spain. Guam is a US territory yes, but it is different, and Spain was the best place I've ever lived. I had alot of friends who were stationed there who agree. They would go back in an instant if given the opportunity. Just because it's outside the US and doesn't have a great reputation doesn't mean it won't be the most enriching experience they have ever had. People in other countries often live just as well as we do, if not better. Most of us just don't realize this because we see what they DON'T have compared to what we do have. But I know from living in Spain that they have a much greater sense of community and family and less social issues than we have here.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would have loved to venture off in the world but never really found a way (short of joining the military) to do so. I think I will always regret it. I do find myself just content having gone to the Goldengate Bridge in San Francisco or saying to myself, well at least I went to Fla. one time. I fear flying now more then ever and driving myself anywhere far is too scary.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I do like visiting places, but I am at the point in my life where I like being comfortable - and unless you have a ton of money - there is no place that offers the conveniences and amenities like right here in the US.

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 6:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't want to live anywhere but Arkansas. And really just central AR. I don't ever want to move and I don't care about vistiting anywhere either. I"m a real homebody. My fave vacation is going to the lake that we've gone to since I was a kid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure I agree with the comforts and amenities lol. In Spain we were able to afford a 2 story 4 bedroom 2 bath home with fireplace, marble floors, attached garage, fruit trees in the yard, an inground pool, pool guy, and landscaper. All for less than $800 a month. In a great community where in just a 5 minute walk we were at one of the best little restaurants I know of. Just down the road was Sevilla, which has all the shopping, American movie theater, American fast food, beautiful parks, theme parks, everything you could ask for. Though I love living in some parts of the states, there is not many places like that here, with such a relaxed, low-crime, family friendly atmosphere. Learning from that, I would give anywhere a try (like I said except in a war-torn or dangerous country!) But then again I love the adventure, and some people prefer the well-known. To each his own =)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well, that does sound beautiful - it was not so great in Sardinia. Many locals took advantage of the military members left and right. This got worse the closer it came for the US to be totally out of the area. They really had to work to squeeze every last dime out of our pockets before the source was gone. Our rents were outrageous, you had to bring in bottled water from the store because all of Sardinia's water is contaminated with fecal matter. Repair of ANYTHING was likely not going to happen - like heat. The only thing I liked over there was the many opportunities to travel. There are a LOT of nice places to visit in Europe - but I would never live there again.

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2009