would it be safe for me to try and loose 30 lbs in my first trimester and then maintain.. i am 236 lbs this will be my fourth child..

scatched

Asked by scatched at 11:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• That seems like a lot of weight to loose at a time when your baby really needs the nutrients. You should just have a honest conversation with your doctor. I'd also ask for a referral to a nutritionist who specializes in pregnant needs, and have them help you come up with a diet and exercise plan that would be good and safe for you and the baby.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I think that's something you should talk to your Dr. about. I think it has more to do with just eating healthy for the health of your baby. If you lose weight, then I don't think that would be a negative for you or your baby.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Why would you be trying to lose weight while pregnant, unless told to do so by your Dr.? I know a lot of people get sick in their 1st trimester, that's one thing. But to intentionally lose weight while pregnant doesn't seem safe to me. Please consult your Dr.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• It depends on how you plan on trying to lose weight. If you are eating sensibly - lots of fruits and veggies and cutting back on sweets and being more active then that should be fine. If you are restricting your foods and doing strenuous exercise, then no. Of course you should ask your dr their advice, but many people don't gain weight during their first trimester anyway.

Answer by missanc at 11:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I think you should try NOT to gain weight while pregnant and then worry about losing it after you have your baby
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• um id say depends on how your planning on doing this... its perfectly safe (and actually encouraged) to exercise during pregancy (Supposably it make labor go quicker if you exercise :D) - so if your just planning on eating healthy and doing light exercises id say its perfectly healthy and probably a good idea as they say it decreases health problems during pregnancy if you are at a healthier weight - my aunt wieghs more than you and she lost weight in the first trimester of both of her pregnancies (mainly due to morning sickness & healthy diet) - Good luck & Stay Healthy!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I should also add that a pregnant lady needs different things than a non-pregnant lady for your long-term health. Like for example, we need extra calcium since the baby will suck it out of us if we don't eat enough. Calcium intake is one of the things I'm watching carefully with this pregnancy since I know osteoporosis runs in my family, and I don't want the baby to "suck" the density out of bones and leave me more prone to breakage in 10 years. Besides, I've been told that the extra hormones in my system right now actually make it possible for me to strengthen my bones a little and help ward off future bone strength issues, so I might as well take advantage of it by eating smart.

There are lots of things to consider besides the number on a scale. You want to become healthy now and later, for yourself and all your kids. You really need to talk to a medical professional about this.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I would guess your doctor will encourage you to eat more healthy...fruit, veggies, lean meat, etc...but I am guessing he/she will not recommend a flat out diet. Those changes may cause you to lose weight, but will still nourish your baby and your own body. Please speak with your doctor and follow their advice!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• im from a town were the doctors have no clue what theyre talking about my children before this pregnancy were premie i knew after the first one it was going to happen again the doctors didnt believe me even while in actual labor i got sent home asking my doctors here is pointless
    scatched

Comment by scatched (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Just starting eating well balanced healthy meals and Google some excercises that are good for pregnancy. Or just get out and walk every day. I lost a ton of weight in my 1st semester from morning sickness and lack of appetite but I continued to eat healthy and walked (more of a stroll) at least a mile almost every day in my 3rd trimester. I lost weight just by that, not because I was trying to. I weighed about 20lbs less the day after I delivered than I did at my very first prenatal appointment.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2013