Shabby chic help

I am painting a desk and a bed for my childs room. I already have the first coat on now I am ready to put the 2nd coat. My husband went and picked up the paint last night. I was told to get flat paint. Not sure is it is right now because the paint store said that it will rub off easy i should use semi-gloss for furniture. Now I am stuck... Has anyone done the Shabby chic finish on furniture? What type or paint do I use for the final coat? If i use the flat can I use a clear coat to go over it for a finish? I have tried looking this up on Pinterest and you tube but everyone uses differant paints. This is for a childs room so I need to be able to wipe it down and not have to worry that it will come off it I dust.

sixlilmonsters

Asked by sixlilmonsters at 11:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would put some sort of latex or acrylic gloss over it if your kids will be using it. I use flat paint on bookshelves, but the kids don't color on them *knock on wood* or spill food on them *knock on wood*
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• flat paint does not sound durable
    you could do 2nd in flat paint
    then use a clear coat- like if you were doing decoupage

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• http://www.ehow.com/how_6395466_refinish-dresser-paint-shabby-chic.html

says nothing about gloss paint- seems flat is good, but need to wax it after

??

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2013