Is This Normal?!?!

My daughter is about 16 months old and she is at the point where she keeps hitting herself, pulling her hair out, she hits others, scratches and kicks others. I am a single mother and she is my only child, is this normal behavior for her age??

Sharon82611

Asked by Sharon82611 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That seems like a lot of aggression for such a wee one. I'd talk to her Dr. about it & see what suggestions he/she has.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• but when she hits herself she smiles and laughs like its funny... and she is in the head-butting stage and has already fractured my nose or worse.
    Sharon82611

Comment by Sharon82611 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Is she in daycare that she sees some of that from other kids? I think most of that is normal to a point (my kids did all those things between 6mo-3yrs), just phases, but that much at once sounds like a little much.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• could be sensory disorder
    talk to ped, hopefully get referral to a therapist to eval her

also check diet, read labels
    some kids react to certain chemicals in foods
    expecially food dyes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• especially food dyes

http://www.feingold.org/

fiatpax

• Not average behavior for a child that age at all. Talk to her Pediatrician. I also agree with what fiatpax above said. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• It could be normal or it could be sensory issues, learned behavior, is she speech delayed if so that's probably the problem.

Just keep telling her no its not nice.
    adhaodd1child

Answer by adhaodd1child at 10:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2013