Cough??Croup??

My daughter has swollen tonsils and a cough that sounds like croup. Can you get croup when you are 9??
Time to do some research...

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think you can, I'm not 100% sure but anytime my children have had that barking cough I have been told its croup.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't think so. My sis always had that nasty cough when she got bronchitis.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It is a dry cough, coming from her throat. I looked at her tonsils, they are red and swollen, but not infected.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes. Adults get croup. In us, it's commonly called laryngitis. It is still the croup virus, but our airways are large enough that we don't get the croupy cough.

She could have it and getting the cough because of the swelling in her throat. Or...it could just be the swelling causing her cough to SOUND croupy. Just treat for croup to be safe....in addition to what you're doing for her poor tonsils.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2009